Reply To: Rick's Accountability

by Rick Smith
in
Comments are off for this post.

Home Page Forums Your Accountability Rick's Accountability Reply To: Rick's Accountability

Rick Smith
Participant

Sean –

Thanks. I think knowing that I have a daily task to report my accountability here and knowing that you won’t let me off the hook and that even more than that, I’m making myself accountable to me, has really helped with the focus. I’d say in the last 30 days the single biggest thing I’ve accomplished is getting more focused. When it’s time to work on my IMB, it’s time to work on it.

Here’s what I mean. I close my email client. I have my web browser open but only because my current daily tasks involve getting the membership site completed. So I stay only on the tab I’m supposed to be on. I don’t have Skype on this machine for that very reason. I don’t want the distraction. Here’s another example. Yesterday it became necessary to reschedule some of my tasks.

I use Todoist (todoist.com) as my task manager of choice. I really like it. Anyway, Todoist doesn’t have a built in calendar so I was using another calendar to which I had Todoist connected. That way I could tell if I’d over scheduled myself on a given day. Well, for whatever the calendar tool quit working yesterday. Per the vendor, it was going away soon anyway. So I knew I had to find a replacement.

In the past, I might have decided to write my own software to replace it. Instead, I did some research and found out that my email client (Mozilla Thunderbird) has the exact functionality I wanted. It took me a few hours to find that out and only an hour to get my calendars and Todoist integrated into Thunderbird. So while all of this took me about six hours to resolve, in the past it would have taken me days.

Share this article