Reply To: Information overload

by James Craig
in
Comments are off for this post.

Home Page Forums Coaching With Sean Mize Information overload Reply To: Information overload

James Craig
Participant

In general, I find that for each step of the process, there are a number of marketing gurus telling me that I must do that step THEIR particular way or my business will fail. I don’t know which path I should take to complete the first step. Either that, or they say I must do the step MY way, some secret inner “way” within me that I need to “get in touch with,” or I will fail. In that case, I usually don’t have a preference in the matter, or I refuse to create a “vision board” with pictures of fancy cars and boats, so I’m stuck.

I’m willing, of course, to ignore all gurus but you. And the first step I hear you telling me to take is to “Take out a sheet of paper and write down your Big Goal.” My goal must be “quantifiable and real.” I’ve heard this from other gurus, and it causes overload in me, because I don’t know if my goal is “too big” or “too small,” or “unrealistic,” or whatever.

My largest imaginable goal is to get every one of the world’s 1.9 billion children to enroll in my homeschooling course so that they know as much as the average colonial American 15-year old about the Bible and the works of Divine Providence in our world. I will charge one penny per child, and those that can’t pay the one-penny tuition will get a scholarship from Bill Gates through my non-profit tax-exempt organization.

[America’s Founding Fathers said that this educational program was “necessary for good government and the happiness of mankind.”]

My smallest imaginable goal is to earn enough to pay my rent next month and make minimum payments on my credit cards by getting “enough” clients at the precise profit-maximizing price-point (low enough to minimize the number who cannot afford it or aren’t wiling to pay that much, and high enough to avoid leaving money on the table). I don’t know what that price-point is, or how to determine it.

[Presently, it is easier for me to market my program to adults who are Victims of Educational Malpractice than to enroll children.]

It occurs to me at this point that you might think I’m being sarcastic or critical. I’m not. This is the way my goofy mind works.

At this point I’m tempted to skip the first step (“goal-setting”) and get to the first concrete action step. Would that be a mistake?

Share this article