With some help from a gentleman on the OptimizePress FB group (it wasn’t an OP issue, it was a WP issue as I suspected), it appears that the situation is resolved. This morning I did some testing with bbPress on a test site I have. (It doesn’t matter if I hose up that site and have blow it away and start over. The only thing I’ll lose there is some time.) I added a couple of other plugins to it and got it looking pretty good. My next step is to install it on my membership site and see what happens.
I didn’t completely lose my cool over the situation yesterday. Ok. I did better than I’ve done in the past but as the situation disintegrated I felt myself slowly slipping into my old pattern. I’m getting better with it. I’m not perfect at it yet.