Branding

by Donna Walsh
in
Comments are off for this post.

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Branding

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Donna Walsh
    Participant

Does anyone brand their business in order to differentiate it, maybe by using a slogan (example: M&Ms: Melts in your mouth, not in your hand), a single word or short statement (example: Sunshine State for Florida), or image (example: Apple’s)?

Donna

Rick Smith
    Participant

Donna –

I don’t plan to brand my website or my business per se. Instead, I’m following Sean’s expert positioning model. In essence, you become the expert in your niche (which of course is a type of branding). He’s talked about it at length in many audios, most recently on the coaching calls for the last two weeks.

Donna Walsh
    Participant

Thanks Rick

I am in another coaching program of Sean’s so I have been following his plan for becoming an expert in my niche.

EXCEPT, I still don’t know what my One Thing is!

In the past, I focused on Website Development but that is too broad of a niche. I branded myself with DWWD which stood for Donna Walsh’s Website Development and I included a graphic of this acronym on all my sales pages as well as used DWWD as the beginning of the URL for multiple websites such as a blog, newsletter, a specials website, etc.

So I asked this question to see if I had to search for a new acronym/symbol/image for my One Thing.

Donna

Don Sturgill
    Participant

Maybe, Donna, the key is to look at two things: 1) What do you already know or skills do you possess that are in the top (let’s say) 10% of all folks on the planet? 2) What are you fascinated by or see a gap in that you COULD quickly become among the top 10%? … Your niche (seems to me) will most likely be somewhere in there… though it may be you need to identify and spread a gap to make room for your #1 presence.

Branding… for my marketing/content writing business, by tagline is: I write. You win.

Donna Walsh
    Participant

Hi Don

Thanks.

The reason why I am having problems with finding my One Thing is because I know how to do many things really well!
    So narrowing it down to what I do best is proving to be difficult. Plus, some of the things I do well are not self sustaining.

For example, I really know HTML and often hand code my sites. And if I do use Dreamweaver to save some time, I edit the code to get rid of dirty coding so loading time for the site can be decreased. But once I write an e-book on HTML coding, there would not be anything else I could do besides maybe series of workshops. But in the long run, this would not be sustainable. BTW I am working on a HTML workshop for one of my membership sites. Not sure if I will sell it outside the membership or not.

One thing I don’t know how to do is write a campaign series so that is something I need to work on.

Donna

Rick Smith
    Participant

Donna –

My background is software development so I’m not “afraid” of the techie stuff, either. I learned HTML back in the day though I never became an expert at it. I’ve played around with CSS though I’m not great at it and it’s definitely NOT one of my core competencies.

In fact, I’d rather use a page builder if I can because it’s quicker and easier for me. I’m currently using OptimizePress which I’ve gotten pretty comfortable with. I’m building that site that you looked at the other day entirely with OptimizePress.
    BTW, it’s interesting to me that there are at least three of us techies in this membership site. Cynthia Ann Leighton also has a tech background. She’s building her sites with OptimizePress as well.

More on the gap/hole in the market concept that Don mentioned.

2) What are you fascinated by or see a gap in that you COULD quickly become among the top 10%? … Your niche (seems to me) will most likely be somewhere in there… though it may be you need to identify and spread a gap to make room for your #1 presence.

I really think this is the key to the whole thing. Sean has done a great job over the last couple of coaching calls really digging into this. Here’s my example. Weight loss websites are a dime a dozen. I’m guessing there are millions of them. At least there are tens of thousands of them. I spent quite a bit of time brainstorming this last year. It took me awhile to figure it out and it took some conversations with my wife.

What’s the ONE Thing (there’s that concept again 🙂 ) that 99% of all weight loss websites don’t address? They don’t address the mental aspect or the motivation behind weight loss. And so I called this “my #1 secret to removing your excess weight and keeping it off forever.” That’s how I’ll differentiate myself and my site from all the other weight loss websites out there.

Donna Walsh
    Participant

Thanks Rick. I have a lot of thinking to do.

I never really ‘work’ on Sundays so I will take that time to just think about everything I know how to do. Maybe I’ll be able to find my One Thing.

Donna

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this article

Comments are closed.