Broad vs narrow topic

by Julia Stueber
in
Comments are off for this post.

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Broad vs narrow topic

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Julia Stueber
    Participant

Hi everyone!

I am at the point of deciding if I want to go broad or narrow in my topic. As a food coach my broadest topic is of course nutrition in general – thousands of others do that. My speciality is celiac disease, food intolerances and allergies as well as mindful eating. As celiac disease and gluten free living is the one closest to my stomach, err heart, I wanted to really dig deep on that one, not only offering the knowledge (i.e. of how to recognize gluten free, how to read labels etc.) but also emotional support in how to deal with negative or stupid comments… I already have a sweet short course on Udemy about how to deal emotionally with all this.
    Does it make sense to stay narrow on the gluten free topic for the moment and then broaden or add topics later onto i.e. Dairy free living, mindful eating or Paleo?

My website I want to use for this is called Eating with Feeling and would allow both broad and narrow…
    Please help a confused German mind…
    Julia

Mark Rhodes
    Participant

Julia,

My own competition is famous doctors. Looking at their websites, some go really narrow (like a single illness), and some go amazingly broad. Broad scares me a little bit for myself. It means more research to cover the things I can’t just rattle off the top of my head. I actually do go broader, but I’m always trying to pull back to my core competency.

From that point of view, I think I would draw the line at what you want to be known as the expert for.

Don’t let me limit you, though.

Mark

Don Sturgill
    Participant

My two bits is that your thinking to stay narrow until the time is right (if ever) to broaden is a good one, Julia. The more focused the light, the brighter it shines.

Julia Stueber
    Participant

Hey guys, thank you for your input. The sentence “what you want to be known as the expert for” kept me thinking the whole night (it was too hot here to sleep anyway)… 😉
    I think I would narrow myself too much with just going the gluten free/celiac route. The topics aren’t endless, whereas with allergies/food intolerances/celiac I feel there is so much more I can teach – to more people. Like you, Mark, I would have to do a bit of research from time to time, but I am ok with that.
    So thanks again, this was a huge help!

Mark Rhodes
    Participant

Julia,

Glad we could help.

If you go with food intolerances, I have a couple of products that would fit your niche. I sent you a message via contact form on your coloring site. I didn’t want to clutter up this thread.

Mark

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

My belief is to go very narrow at first until you have built an audience and website stability, then begin slowly adding breadth (if you wish)

But your market is big enough to have 1 million members and still be very narrow – think about becoming the very best in the entire world (you can)

Sean

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

Plenty enough scope with Celiac Disease in my view – there’s a Dummies book for it and 623 Kindle books on it.

34 new books in the last 90 days, 3 more due in the next 90 days (you can get all that info from Amazon’s site)

One thing I’ve seen that works nicely is to use the Kindle book as the pre-sale for the main course – I bought one recently on a different topic and at the end there was an offer for the $497 course reduced to $297 for purchasers of the book. And remember to put the opt-in to your freebie early enough in the Kindle so that it shows on the Look Inside preview.

That’s a long way of saying celiac is plenty wide enough and you could always link in content on food intolerances, allergies and mindful eating (which I’m guessing is the opposite of the auto-pilot eating where that bag of Doritos vanishes during the TV show you’re watching)

Lots and lots and lots of scope in that niche – not even touched on training up other consultants!

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Trevor,

what great fast research!

I would agree – great demand in that niche –

Sean

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

It probably took me longer to type than it did to research – I use Amazon as a very quick test for markets – if people have taken the time to write (or outsource) a Kindle book then they’ve probably done more than enough research on my behalf. Especially if lots of them have done it 🙂

Julia Stueber
    Participant

Hi Trevor and Sean,

thank you for your input! Doh, I should have thought of Amazon myself (as I sell books there), but had only searched the web for similar coaches… 😉

Trevor, your advice with the kindle book is great, I will certainly do that. And yes, celiac disease has enough potential, I see that now. In Facebook the celiac groups tend to be really large as the pain and the life changes are far bigger than with other food intolerances.

I said to my hubby that this time I will stick to the book or rather what Sean writes and says. Can’t wait to get started, there are just a few commitments and loose ends I have to deal with next week so my mind is free.

Have a fantastic weekend,
    Juli

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Julia,

remember, once you have an audience, you can always enlarge your scope.

For an indepth treatment of this, read Crossing the Chasm by Geoffrey Moore

Sean

Julia Stueber
    Participant

Thank you, Sean – another book for my 2-read list!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this article

Comments are closed.