Collecting Payment

by Don Sturgill
in
Comments are off for this post.

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Collecting Payment

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Donna Walsh 4 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

Lots of options – go with whichever is easiest for you to set up.

Personally I’ll use PayPal via WarriorPlus as most of my products are in the internet marketing arena.

Sean often just uses a PayPal button – they provide the code (I use the EmbedIt Pro plugin to make sure WordPress doesn’t mess up the code)

Another marketer I follow uses GumRoad.

Donna Walsh
    Participant

I use an e-commerce back end platform. I have used Delavo (starting with JV Manager, progressing yo Fantasia and then to Delavo) for many years (and even wrote the manuals and context help files for it). But John Delavera is no longer maintaining it. Since it is no longer being updated, some features are already broken so it is only a matter of time until it is completely broken.

I will change to a different platform once I have my new e-book ready to launch. I am looking at Infusionsoft (VERY expensive at $200 up to $600 per month) as well as Zaxaa (about $100/month) and a few others.

After using an e-commerce solution, I know that I definitely want to get another one instead of just connecting my pay button to PayPal.

Donna

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

Donna: Zaxaa looks as though it’s combining payment processing with list automation. That’s OK but can mean you’re stuck longer term – a friend of mine started using 1ShoppingCart many years ago and is basically stuck with it because it’s too much hassle to move all his products and large lists to anyone else. I remember quite a few Skype chats with him where if he’d been in the same room as their programmers at least tempers would have frayed and he’s normally quite chilled.

Infusionsoft works but seems to need a degree in geek as well as deep pockets to make it work – a local business meeting network company “downgraded” to an easier system because they were struggling to make Infusionsoft work for them without constantly paying a techie.

Personally I like to keep things as simple as possible – Aweber has some basic automation rules that can be applied so that when someone joins one list they’re taken off the previous one and it hooks in to almost everything because it’s market leader at the lower end of the pricing ecosystem.

Following Sean’s lead on a lot of his products, I tend to make my “thank you” page the autoresponder signup page so I’m not relying on computers to add people to lists behind the scenes.

Depends what you want to do but I think there’s a strong case for K.I.S.S. 🙂

Donna Walsh
    Participant

Yes Zaxaa is like that as is Delavo. And Delavo has a very steep learning curve as I am sure all e-commerce platforms do. But since I used the Delavo family for many years, I am sure I can easily master any other similar programs.

When I first started in IM, I did not use an e-commerce solution. But after using one for so many years, I cannot imagine running my business without one.

I love having all my records so readily available. I have exact records of what and when my customers purchased a product. I can easily make a refund with just the push of a single button. My affiliates are also easily accessible and I can mass pay commissions to all of my affiliates with just the push of a couple of buttons. I can offer a discount coupon to just a segment of my list, can automatically expire it, etc. There are so many features available in an e-commerce platform that make running my business a lot easier.

I do know about that feature in Aweber (my autoresponder of choice). Delavo will automatically move people from one list to another according to the parameters I set up for the product. So that is one of the features I will be looking for in the new platform I choose.

Yes, it will be a pain to move all my products (currently over 100 although that number includes products I no longer sell) to another platform but I really do believe in centralizing all of my business stuff. And I feel the convenience of centralization will be worth it. Once I do pick a platform, I will stay with it as long as it is available. So I will need to do some research to pick the best platform for me that has the features that I want.

BTW these platforms are not meant to be list automation software but a platform that centralizes all the tasks involved with an IM business. And I honestly feel that all the time I save is worth a little bit of hassle.

Donna

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

Fair enough on the e-commerce solution – never used one so maybe don’t know what I’m missing.

I do know that as an affiliate it’s a pain in the neck to change links – have done it several times for various programs and it’s not easy or even always possible (I’ve never found a way to recall PDFs with hard coded links for instance) and sometimes things go wrong in the process and there’s no easy way to find out. Have had that happen even when the main links haven’t changed.

WarriorPlus handle the majority of my affiliates as I’m mainly in IM.

I’ve used Clickbank in the past and I’ve also used iDevAffiliate on one site.

Donna Walsh
    Participant

One of the features in Delavo is short URLs. So I create a short URL for all of my affiliate links. Then if I need to change a link, I go into that feature and change the URL of the link I need to change.

I have several Delavos (since I wrote the manuals and contextual help files for John, I was given free ones to use for writing those and for testing procedures). One of them I use for my Donna Suggests website (a resource directory) where I often post the product I am promoting. So when I promote a product, my link is http://DonnaSuggests.com/product. The Donna Suggests link never needs changed, no matter what so I just need to change the site it is associated with. Fast & easy, especially since I categorize the link so it is easy to find again (for example, my affiliate links for Aweber, Get Response, etc. are in the Autoresponder Services category)! That is another feature I will be looking for in whatever e-commerce platform I decide on.

I am also mainly into IM but I have never used Warrior + or JV Zoo. That is something I need to look into although I do prefer to handle my own customers and affiliates.

Donna

Donna Walsh
    Participant

BTW If anyone has an IM product, service or coaching program, I will be more than happy to add as many as you want to my Donna Suggests site.

just send an email to DWWDHq@gmail.com with the name, a short 1-2 sentence blurb and a link. Since I often include links to that site in e-books I write (for example a Donna Suggests link to the category autoresponder services), you may even get some free traffic. 🙂

Donna

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

Warrior+ & JVZoo are just market places with a kind-of built-in affiliate base (they still need to find your product and decide to promote it). I use Warrior+ more than JVZoo so will focus on that here.

They handle the split with the affiliate, Warrior+ efficiently handles delayed payments JVZoo it’s up to the vendor as and when delayed payments get paid. Which a lot of affiliates, myself included, don’t totally trust. They also handle the upsells/downsells/countdowns/limited quantities/dime sales/other price options/subscriptions (including trial price) and kind-of handle coupons.

With Warrior+ I can link Paypal, Stripe and (if I have one) a US bank account. Plus a variety of email autoresponders. They also handle JVs including the split between partners. Various buy button options are offered.

They also email past customers about your new products as well as other people’s – that’s a positive or negative depending on your point of view.

Most of it is easy-ish to set up and it means I don’t need any extra software, it’s all covered in their cut of the sale price. Warrior+ support is good as they typically answer support queries. In my experience, JVZoo are less responsive.

Affiliates can be approved or denied – individually &/or rule based (for instance at least X sales with at most Y refunds). You can also clone affiliates from one promotion to the next but they don’t get a message to say that’s happened, just a link button if they go into the affiliates section.

And thanks in advance for the offer of adding products to your site – will try to remember to do that!

Donna Walsh
    Participant

Thanks for the info Trevor!

Don Sturgill
    Participant

Thank you, Donna. Thank you, Trevor.

Here’s an interesting option: Gumroad.com

Donna Walsh
    Participant

I have never heard of that site Don.
    But I will check it out.

Thanks

Donna

Donna Walsh
    Participant

Don, I just looked at Gumroad and it does not have most of the features I want. It is more of a payment processor than an e-commerce platform.

But thanks for sharing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this article

Comments are closed.