Creating Matrices

by Rick Smith
in
Comments are off for this post.

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Creating Matrices

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rick Smith 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Rick Smith
    Participant

Update: I figured out how to set the tab stops in LibreOffice. I tested it with a simple text file in LibreOffice (instead of using an ODT file type). This worked correctly. I didn’t have the weird behavior I was experiencing in ODT files. I also just tested it with DOCX files and got the same behavior as I did with ODT files. So the solution is obviously to use simple text files with LibreOffice for creating my lesson matrices.

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Rick, I’ve never done anything that complicated in this business –

I just write lines – and write headings, etc

sometimes I number them

🙂

Sean

Rick Smith
    Participant

Sean –

That’s pretty much the conclusion I’ve come to. I’m over complicating it. Again. If there’s a way to over complicate something, I’ll find it. 🙁 I’ll reboot my plan with this tomorrow. It’s time to get unstuck.

Mark Rhodes
    Participant

Rick,

I just use simple mind map software for my matrices. The pieces are easy to drag into place to create the hierarchy that I want.

I use it for all sorts of other things, too, like an outline for a report, outline for a webinar, outline for a video, taking notes from a webinar, etc.

Mark

Rick Smith
    Participant

Mark –

I started moving my outlines to a mind map yesterday. (I’m using X-Mind which I really like.) That seems to be working. And I think it will work better when I’m doing the recording. Plus I’ve realized something. I’ve been beating myself up for the amount of time it’s taking me to get these matrices/mind maps done. That’s silly. There’s a lot of information in what I’m planning to teach. It’s going to take some time to get the matrices done.

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Rick,

you don’t need to take so much time

take out a sheet of paper and write down topics

that’s all I do, it sounds like you are spending way too much time on this

Sean

Rick Smith
    Participant

Sean –

I probably am spending too much time on this. However, for me, just “writing down topics” won’t have enough detail for me. I’m still trying to strike the right balance to provide myself the right level of detail without actually scripting the whole thing. I’m doing better using X-Mind to create mind maps. I’m going to make another change in how I’m doing this. In another post, you suggested focusing on the “one thing.” I’m going to eliminate (for now) something I was previously doing most mornings. In its place, I’ll add another timeslot for working on my matrices. So that will add another (approximately) 3 hours per week (1 additional 30 minute block per day for each day of six days) that I can work on this.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this article

Comments are closed.