I’m in the process of creating my 10×10 matrix (or whatever it will be) for lesson 1 on my membership site. I’ve already done the intro lesson. I used LibreOffice (an open source product) for both matrices. However, normal line numbering doesn’t work for what I want. I want outline numbering. Unfortunately, it seems to be a pain to get it configured correctly. I previously manually numbered the lines. Unfortunately, LibreOffice has this annoying habit of sometimes placing a line at the beginning of the next line after I’ve placed the line where I wanted it. But sometimes it works fine.
I looked at several alternatives. I figured out how to make outline numbering work but none of the choices were great. I wound up with an option that numbers the lines like this 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.14. Yuck. I’d much prefer something like what I’m showing below. (I can’t get this to render correctly on the site. The topic and subtopic should be indented the appropriate number of spaces below the above it.)
Does it matter that much? Probably not. What matters is the content in the matrix. Then I realized I was probably overthinking and fixating on what’s really a non-issue. (I was listening to Sean on an audio just today during my workout where he talked about getting unstuck.)
So it occurred to me for this simple application I could use something like NotePad, NotePad++, or WordPad. And there may be other tools. In any case, I’d be interested to know what tools you use for creating your matrices.
Update: I figured out how to set the tab stops in LibreOffice. I tested it with a simple text file in LibreOffice (instead of using an ODT file type). This worked correctly. I didn’t have the weird behavior I was experiencing in ODT files. I also just tested it with DOCX files and got the same behavior as I did with ODT files. So the solution is obviously to use simple text files with LibreOffice for creating my lesson matrices.
That’s pretty much the conclusion I’ve come to. I’m over complicating it. Again. If there’s a way to over complicate something, I’ll find it. 🙁 I’ll reboot my plan with this tomorrow. It’s time to get unstuck.
I started moving my outlines to a mind map yesterday. (I’m using X-Mind which I really like.) That seems to be working. And I think it will work better when I’m doing the recording. Plus I’ve realized something. I’ve been beating myself up for the amount of time it’s taking me to get these matrices/mind maps done. That’s silly. There’s a lot of information in what I’m planning to teach. It’s going to take some time to get the matrices done.
I probably am spending too much time on this. However, for me, just “writing down topics” won’t have enough detail for me. I’m still trying to strike the right balance to provide myself the right level of detail without actually scripting the whole thing. I’m doing better using X-Mind to create mind maps. I’m going to make another change in how I’m doing this. In another post, you suggested focusing on the “one thing.” I’m going to eliminate (for now) something I was previously doing most mornings. In its place, I’ll add another timeslot for working on my matrices. So that will add another (approximately) 3 hours per week (1 additional 30 minute block per day for each day of six days) that I can work on this.