Dave's Accountability

by
in
Comments are off for this post.

Home Page Forums Your Accountability Dave's Accountability

This topic contains 18 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sean Mize 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Rick Smith
    Participant

Dave –

Wow! That’s an impressive questionnaire. I’m very impressed with how open you were with the whole process and how you laid it all out there. Seeing you do that gives me the courage to do the same.

Thanks for being so open.

Rick

Anonymous

The Outline of My Blueprint

What are the 3-5 things you should be singularly focusing on to achieve YOUR goals?
    (Yes, I took out “in your business” to suit my needs in this first section.)

For me, it has to begin with TAKING CONTINUOUS ACTION.
    1. Make my bed every morning. (That is a metaphor for “Start Every Day with a Task done.”)

2. Plan every Push and make that push The Bed. (A “Push” is the next set of actions in the plan. Generally takes about 7-10 hours, covering 1-3 days.)

3. Accept that pattern breaks are part of my life and Master getting the car out of park as quickly as possible.

What are the 3-5 things you should be singularly focusing on in your business to achieve YOUR goals?
    (Here is the original question.)

1. New content leads to subscribers.
    2. Subscribers need a good welcome series that leads to an initial purchase quickly (7-14 days).
    3. Consistently good emails sent on a consistent basis will lead to more sales.
    4. New SIMPLE products lead to having products to sell.
    5. With my open rate (60%) and click through rate (28%), if I chart the “What made the sale?” I can learn what works and concetrate on that.
    6. The WSO selling concept (i.e. price ticks higher over time) is brilliant. This should leverage my LCV into a very steady flow.

What are the 3-5 things you should MASTER to achieve YOUR goals?
    1. Producing emails quickly. (Currently takes me about 90 minutes per email.)
    2. Producing products quickly. (A 1-hour video currently takes me about 6.5 hours to produce.)
    3. Accepting that everything else only has to be GOOD ENOUGH!

More tomorrow.

Rick Smith
    Participant

Dave –

Good looking outline.

Anonymous

My Monetary Blueprint

What do YOU see as the way to get to about $20k a month
    Historically, our LCV was based upon a 5-year revenue evaluation of around $740 per customer. With our sales dropping substantially in the last year, and with me moving to a much lower pricing model, I would expect that would drop further. (Note that our historic customer base is, oddly, twice the size of our email list because of having to rebuild the list from scratch.)

I am going to call the LCV5 at a little less than half the current one, or $64 per year. The current subscriber-to-customer ratio is still high – around 40% – but not as high as it once was when it was at almost 70%. (The primary reason it has dropped so far is that I got so busy doing custom software over the last 2 years that I did not build a single new product so the customers had nothing to buy!)

So, the numbers look like this:
    • $64 per year, per customer (1 Customer = 1.5 subscribers)
    • 5,000 subscribers @ 40% = 2,000 customers
    • 2,000 customers @ $64 = $128,000 per year
    These numbers are based upon selling just the low-end information products (i.e. at WSO-style pricing, $8-$16). They do not include all the potential spin-off products. The key will be to produce 8 new products per year. In addition, I also have 18 SKUs of 4+ hour seminars in my store that I could use as upsells.

I welcome all comments and opinions.

Next for me will be the first “Push.” A few rules about my Pushes:
    1. My work week is Monday through 1/2 Friday.
    2. I never schedule any push for Saturday or Sunday. That is time off.
    3. This way, if I feel like working on the weekend, it goes towards the Push that is operate for Monday. I have found this to be a huge difference in outlook for me.
    4. I always make the first Push of the week lighter, so as to be able to look at Monday and say, “I only have this little bit to do.” Of course, I immediately create a new Push from my spreadsheet.

I break time units into 30-minute segments, although known to me as “Cows.” (I used a cow timer instead of a tomato time. Hence, not Pomodoros.) Most segments are double (i.e. 60 minutes).

A typical push will have somewhere between 7 to 14 pushes. Monday’s are a little lighter and are usually finished by lunchtime. Then the next items are plucked off the calendar to make up the 2nd push of the week. (Pushes are number like 2016-06-4 is the push that starts on Monday.)

BTW, Sean’s recent product… Design Your Personal 1-Year Blueprint… Offered a really great addition to the entire process. He said that we needed to create our goals and them came out looking like “tracks.”

Sean's Multi-Track diagram

I added a couple more tracks and suddenly they began to look like “departments.” From there I could build a calendar.

Dave

Anonymous

Perhaps nobody is interested, but here is a picture of my updated Work Flow Queue after the redesign I made from Sean’s table above.

Dave Schwartz's Work Flow Queue Spreadsheet

Rick Smith
    Participant

I don’t know how many of you (besides Dave and Sean) realize how intently Dave focuses when he sets his mind to something. Dave and I have had many discussions over the last few years about focus. I can focus like Dave does, too. (We all can.) Problem is, I don’t do it consistently enough. And when I don’t focus and work on what I’d planned to work on, I let it frustrate me. I’ve got to learn not to get so frustrated when that happens.

Anyway, this is Dave’s thread, not mine and I don’t want to hijack his thread. The Work Flow Queue that Dave posted above is the result of many hours of work on his part to refine his system and stay focused on the project at hand. And when I say focused, I mean focused. If we’re in the middle of a Skype chat or whatever, Dave will often tell me, “Time for me to go to work.” And that’s the end of the chat session for now.<g> But I’ve learned to expect and respect that about Dave. And I’m working to learn to focus consistently like he does.

Anonymous

Thank you, Rick.

Indeed, when I am productive, I am VERY productive.

Anonymous

Rick Smith
    Participant

Dave –

Nicely done. One of the things I’m still working through is the best way to incorporate time blocking into my planning. And I have to get better about the daily review. I know *exactly* what tasks are scheduled for any given day. Todoist does a great job of showing me what I have scheduled on a daily basis. But because today blew up due partially due to the weather (over which I obviously had no control), and because my energy went into the tank yesterday and today, I now have a bunch of tasks stacked up that I now have to reschedule. So obviously I have to reschedule those tasks but of course there’s a domino effect. What do you do when you have days like that?

Anonymous

I completely gave up blocking out time years ago. It simply made me feel guilty for not doing enough. There are just too many fires to put out. That includes everything from computers breaking to deciding that some time with your family has a higher priority in the moment.

Dan Kennedy once said that the difference between the big boys and the little guys (that would be me) is that the big boys do everything in parallel while the little guys do everything in serial.

To the non-programmers (that might someday read this – LOL) that means that when the big boys are starting a new venture the get a team of people working all at once. That is, somebody is working on the website, someone else on the sales funnel, somebody else designing the marketing campaign, etc. etc.

Meanwhile, the little guys – like us – have to take it one step at a time; doing one thing at a time.

Over time, I learned that I set myself up for failure because, as a one-person show, I just cannot do it all at once. Frankly, that’s one reason I like Sean’s stuff: It is highly applicable to a one-person team, but you still have to cut out some stuff that the big boys will do.

Again, over time, I have learned to accept that I am not a super man machine, although for 30-90 minutes at a time I seem to approach that threshold.

Dave

Rick Smith
    Participant

Dave –

I have to somehow reconcile how this will work in my system. The “gooroos” (or many of them anyway) say to use time blocking. Dan Kennedy even talks about it in many places when he says you must make unbreakable appointments with yourself. I’m sort of using time blocking in that I currently have general time blocks scheduled. For example, most mornings I work on my IMB from 6:00 am – 8:00 am (assuming I get up on time which I do most mornings).

I have a spreadsheet that I created about a year ago that lays out my general time blocks. I just looked at it. I thought it was up to date. It’s not. Anyway, then I have time blocks for some evenings (depending on the night) when I have time blocks to work on my IMB from 6 pm – 10 pm. (Those are on the timesheet but some of the nights aren’t correct.) So I used this spreadsheet to create my general time blocks in Google Calendar. Those time blocks are correct. I want those in there so I don’t schedule other appointments at those times.

What I don’t do is schedule specific tasks into the time blocks. I let Todoist track the tasks themselves. (I can integrate Todoist with Google Calendar but I haven’t yet figured out what that buys me the way I’m using it.) Sean discusses on many audios the principle of “action management” instead of “time management.”

By doing it the way I’m doing it I feel like I’m focusing more on action management as opposed to time management. The next action on my list for my All Access tasks is “Questions to help you dig deep to develop your blueprint.” I won’t estimate how long that will take. I’ll simply do the work and it will take as long as it takes.

So I don’t estimate how long my “cows” will take like you do. (I know. You estimate your own cows.<g>) I just put them in my Todoist task list and plan the day I want to do the given tasks. Where the wheels fall off for me is when I have days like I had on Friday and Saturday.

So now I have all these tasks that I didn’t complete for two days and I have to reschedule them. I don’t think rescheduling them will impact my overall deadline but it might. (Because of my *serious* underestimation of how long my recovery would take, I’ve had to reschedule several times the deadline for completing my website.)

So to translate to your situation, you had a number of tasks planned for Saturday, June 11th. (It looks to me like we’re pretty similar in how we handle that aspect of planning.) But let’s say that Saturday the 11th just completely blew up for you (for whatever reason) and you completed none of the tasks you had scheduled. How would you handle that going forward?

Anonymous

I really wish I could do it the DK way. It just has never worked for me. Every time-based plan I have ever set up has caused me to (eventually) wind up in a state of overwhelm, and, even worse, caused me some serious self-criticism about “Why can’t I just stick to a schedule like everyone else?” Turns out that most people who are trying to get a one-person company to go seem to have that same problem.

I actually tried scheduling for a few days and dropped it on day 3 or 4. What would happen is that I would say, “At 10am I am going to do this or that.” Then, when 9am came around something came up that needed to be addressed NOW and the 10am cow had to be pushed back, and so did the rest of the day. Kind of like a doctor’s office. They typically overbook to cover cancellations and, by 3 hours into the day may be a full hour behind.

Here’s a life hack that will save frustration: I try to schedule doctor appointments for the earliest appointment in the morning. Typically, I have an 8am appointment, show up at 7:50 and out the door before 8:30.

Same thing with airline flights. Unless there is a mechanical issue, it is pretty rare for the first flight of the day to be late because the plane spent the night there. (And so did the flight crew.)

Regarding Saturday work schedule…

You misunderstood. I NEVER schedule work on weekends. My week ends on Friday at noon and the commitments start again on Monday. This puts me in a situation where weekend work is completely voluntary. That doesn’t mean I don’t work on stuff but it is NEVER a requirement. What usually happens is that my Monday Push is partially completed when I show up for work on Monday morning.

I really do only expect to work around 20-25 hours per week. (Read that as “required work.”)

The date at the top of the push is today’s date. The date to the right is the start date of the push. If there is an absolute deadline, then two things will happen:

1. The push will be top-heavy with deadline work, perhaps for days in advance.
    2. There will be another date to the right of the start date, large, bold and yellow on red as a reminder.

EVENT THEORY

This entire process is based upon what I call “Event Theory.”

I used to coach baseball at many different levels, from as young as 8-10 year olds to college baseball. Practice days are different than game days. On practice days players work on building skills, but game day is different. That is when it really matters and it becomes serious business. It is all about FOCUS and PERFORMANCE.

So, when I begin a “cow” there is actually a 3-5 minute preliminary where I COMMIT to focusing for the next 30, 60 or 90 minutes. THAT is the secret to getting this done: removing everything from your mind and area of responsibility except the one thing you are committed to doing. It is GAME DAY.

A reasonable “mantra” would be “I will start no cow before it’s time.” LOL

Of course, just like in the real world, sometimes game day doesn’t work out so well. LOL I get interrupted cows just like everyone else. I just don’t set myself up for failure by leaving email, Facebook or Skype open, or answer phone calls. BTW, phone calls are the biggest challenge, especially if Beth is not at home. When I am in DEEP COW (as I call it), I actually cover my phone system with cloth so that I am not tempted to look at the number, which would break my concentration.

Dave
    PS: Seems like you and I are having a private conversation.

Rick Smith
    Participant

Dave –

Ok. I guess Saturday was a bad example. Say those items were scheduled for Monday. Say it was a complete blow up from what you had planned. Skype and Facebook aren’t really an issue for me. I don’t have Skype on this laptop (for the exact reason of removing that distraction) and I don’t spend a ton of time on Facebook. I just don’t. Plus I’ve learned to close my email client when it’s time to focus. So that’s not an issue. And my phone doesn’t ring much (besides I have it on vibrate 90% of the time anyway) so that’s not really an issue, either.

So what I want to know is what do you do what your day totally and completely blows up? Let’s say your network goes down or one of your computers goes south (I know both of those things have happened to you in the past) and you’re completely unable to work on anything you had planned for that day. What do you do the next day (or over the next several days) to overcome the overwhelm and frustration of having a day like that? And what do you about the tasks that you weren’t able to get to because the network or the computer went down?

And yes. It does seem like we’re having a private conversation.

Rick Smith
    Participant

Dave –

I’ve come to a decision about all of this. (Amazing what a good night’s sleep can do for you.<g>) It doesn’t matter. Seriously. I’ve got to learn to get over it. If a day blows up because of whatever it really doesn’t matter. One day isn’t going to kill anything. Does that mean that I’ll no longer hold myself accountable? No. It doesn’t mean that at all. It just means I have to quit being so hard on myself. I’ll post how I’m going to fix this in my own thread since I keep hijacking yours.<g>

Anonymous

BLOWING A DAY UP
    It doesn’t matter. The push is designed to be “Until I get it done.” Think of it as a queue. Yes, that’s it.

And think of that spreadsheet as being a company-wide queue.

Consider that in a corporation there are multiple departments. Periodically the department heads get together with upper management and (literally) fight over resources. Of course, the primary resource they fight over is money. In my world, the resource the currency is time.

THE PROCESS
    Imagine that once a week – Friday afternoon or evening usually – I have a roundtable discussion of sorts with my imaginary department heads. Each one (in my head) builds a case for why his projects are most important and needs to be on the agenda next week. I load up the spreadsheet for the next week pretty good, with 70-80 items, knowing full well that many of them will get carried over to the next week.

Then I build the Monday push with somewhere between 5-14 items. The Monday push is a little different because it is usually small and may even have been completed over the weekend. If so, that gives me at least part of Monday off if I want it. The entire system is designed to reward (with self-praise and time off) as opposed to punish (with guilt and more work). This system helps me to avoid the whole “Pattern Break” problem most of the time.

So, in a normal week, Monday afternoon some time the first push is finished. I (as the CEO of this entire operation) cross items off the spreadsheet and populate the next push. The others will usually have 25-35 items, which will usually mean I will take Tuesday and Wednesday to get it done.

BTW, after the Monday push, the next push is labeled Tuesday, even though it will be available for work time on Monday. This is the same principle as “No weekend pushes allowed.” I have designed this to be a relatively carefree management system. It is kind of like saying, “Here’s your push #1 for the week. It’s not too hard, so you can come into work all fired up on Monday because you have little or nothing to do because you probably already took a substantial bite out of the first one before you came to work on Monday.

Consider why this works so well. First, Monday is, for most people, the most stressful days of the week because you tried to take off early on Friday, and so that work is added to what is coming on Monday. In our system, if your last push of the week is not finished it is still over, it isn’t a big deal, because on Friday all is forgiven.

ANOTHER THING
    I used to listen to a lot of Anthony Robbins. He sold me on the whole pain vs pleasure concept. That is all part of Cognitive Behavioral Theory (CBT). It is a great idea for fixing problems in life. However, living one’s life fearing the stick and running towards the carrot is not a pleasant way to live. In fact, it is a very old-school therapy.

The entire plan-execute-assess-repeat process is designed to MOTIVATE us to GET SOMETHING DONE. If it is something important to us (or leads us to something important), then we should not need to be driven. Where’s the joy in the doing? A process that demands being whipped to get things done on a regular basis leads to a form of self-slavery. Slaves are not typically very happy.

For me, this was a huge lesson in self-discovery.

Dave

PS: I am thinking we should take this private.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this article

Comments are closed.