Example of Discovering the "Thing" That Will Motivate YOU Day-in-Day-out

in
Comments are off for this post.

Home Page Forums Coaching With Sean Mize Example of Discovering the "Thing" That Will Motivate YOU Day-in-Day-out

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rick Smith 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Rick Smith
    Participant

First some quick background so everyone has some context. About a week and half ago Sean sent an email asking what was the biggest thing holding you back in your business. He listed several items. Some were technology items. Some were other things. I thought and thought about this. Then I got to thinking about the work I’d just done on my blueprint (which I’m still working on). Here’s what I realized.

It’s me. I’m the #1 thing holding my business back from taking off. The way I reached that conclusion was through working on my Big Business blueprint to answer the questions to help you dig deep. The question was, ” What do you see as your 3 biggest weaknesses? ” My answers:

a. Often, I can’t get out of my own way.
    b. Self doubt. In other words, you’ve failed before. What’s to say you won’t fail again? So I guess that’s really fear of failure.
    c. BSO (bright shiny object) syndrome.

So I started thinking about those answers. I was trying to determine what the common denominator was. Then it hit me. It’s me. I’m the common denominator in all three of those weaknesses. So it’s not technology, or traffic, or any of the other things Sean named in his email. It’s me. That was quite a surprising revelation. I don’t know why it was surprising but it was.

And what got us to the point of this coaching session is that I responded to Sean’s email and he said he had an exercise he could do with me. So here we are.

So now to answer Sean’s question. Three things I’d like to accomplish in the next three years (some of the goals are a bit shorter duration but they fit the window).

1. Complete yourpathtoweightloss.com. It’s partially done but I’ve got to complete it because it’s the key to rest of my fitness big business blueprint. (Actually, I plan to complete it by the end of July but it’s going on here anyway.)

2. Complete my big business fitness portal.

3. Have *at least* a $100K per year business within the three years (preferably sooner).

Rick

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Rick,

so re: these:

1. Complete yourpathtoweightloss.com. It’s partially done but I’ve got to complete it because it’s the key to rest of my fitness big business blueprint. (Actually, I plan to complete it by the end of July but it’s going on here anyway.)

2. Complete my big business fitness portal.

3. Have *at least* a $100K per year business within the three years (preferably sooner).

What are the 3-5 things holding you back from achieving that?

Sean

Rick Smith
    Participant

Sean –

Let’s start with the top item; complete yourpathtoweightloss.com. I can’t address the other objectives until the first one is complete. So… the three to five things holding me back from completing the website are (I don’t know that they are in any priority):

1. Day job. Let’s call it what it is. I work as a software developer during the day. I’m paid reasonably well for what I do but it does get in the way of building a big business. And I’m certainly not paid $100K+ in my day job (I get paid high five figures). But the health insurance is pretty good and that’s important right now. All of that said, working at a day job is a time suck for 8+ hours per day plus the travel time.

2. Energy levels. We’ve discussed elsewhere the fact that I had to have two surgeries in April. I don’t want to keep using that as a scapegoat but on some days this is an issue. I attempt to get up between 5:30 am and 6:00 am every morning. That’s when I’m at my best. But I’ve realized that if I’m ever going to get this thing off the ground in any meaningful way I’m going to have to spend time working on it at night. While my strength and stamina are returning (more slowly than I expected) and I can do things now that I couldn’t do a month ago, there are still nights where I don’t care if I don’t do anything more than lay on the couch and become a zombie.

3. Scheduling. My wife cleans houses part time. One of my “whys” for doing what I’m doing is so she can get out of that. It’s getting hard for her to do and she has a partner who acts like she’s the boss. She’s not but she thinks she is and she wants to control our schedule as well.

Unfortunately, because this other woman is extremely selfish and inflexible (and because my wife refuses to explain to her how things are going to work), about two mornings a week I have to give up my early morning time for working on my IMB. Actually, I suppose I could work on the IMB if I were willing to give up my workouts.

I’m not willing to do that most mornings. That’s non-negotiable for me most days. Even so, many mornings I have to cut short my workout to accommodate this woman’s artificial schedule. Why is any of this an issue for me? Because right now we have only one car. It’s a good car but we have only one. Another one of my “whys” is to get another vehicle. That would obviously eliminate this issue but it’s not an option right now.

4. Bright shiny object syndrome. I’m getting better at this one. I don’t have Skype on this laptop on purpose. That way I can eliminate that distraction. I typically shut down email in the early morning when I work on my IMB. But it’s still an issue. For example, the other day I day bought the “List on Fire” product that Sean was promoting. Then I spent some time that night going through part of the first two videos. That time would probably been better spent working on my big business blueprint. But sometimes there’s a trade off. Going through “List on Fire” required much less energy and thought than thinking about my big business blueprint and answering the probing questions.

5. Other activities. Life is a balancing act and mine’s no different in that regard than anyone else’s. For example, I’m active in my church and in Scouting. I was recently asked to serve again on a Wood Badge staff. (That’s a leadership program for Scout leaders.) I’ll be serving as one of the senior staff.

There’s a considerable time commitment involved in preparing for and presenting the course which we’ll teach in mid-October. That’s obviously time away from my IMB. And I serve in various capacities in my church. Last Saturday I went to assist some folks with laying sod. That took about about an hour. And of course there are personal and family projects that take time. After I laid sod I went home to work on adjusting sprinkler patterns.

We had a house built two years ago. Last year we installed the sprinkler system ourselves. This year we’ll have the lawn seeded. The sprinklers have to be working before the lawn can be seeded. Well, during our adjusting process we discovered that the GFCI outlet was tripping again. I thought I’d already fixed that. So tonight instead of working on my IMB I get to go trouble the GFCI issue again. This an issue because the sprinklers won’t run until that’s fixed. And the sprinklers have to be adjusted before June 30th because that’s the date we’re having the lawn seeded.

All of that said, I’m getting much better at handling all of this than I was. I use Todoist within a GTD (Getting Things Done by David Allen) framework for managing all of these actions. I’m about to tweak that system just a bit to better align everything with my areas of focus, etc. This whole process with the goal furnace and the big business blueprint has made me realize I still have some things out of alignment.

Rick

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Rick,

so how much longer are you willing to continue to allow those things to hold you back from your big goals?

Sean

Rick Smith
    Participant

Sean –

I’m sick of holding myself back from accomplishing my big goals. So the answer would be I’m not willing to hold myself back any longer. I’ve been doing this for far too long. I want to get this fixed!

Rick

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Rick,

how does it make you feel to know that if you had taken this action last year this time, your life would be very different today?

Sean

Rick Smith
    Participant

BTW, this coaching session is quite instructive, not only for the results I’ll achieve, but for the process itself. Once we’re done with this particular session I plan to capture all of this in Evernote so I can use it as a model when I’m ready to roll out my own coaching program.

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Rick,
    yeah, this is off the top of my head to help you personally, but you can certainly adapt it for something generic –

but let’s stick to task here:

how does it make you feel to know that if you had taken this action last year this time, your life would be very different today?

Sean

Rick Smith
    Participant

Sean –

Wow! My life would be amazingly different if I’d taken these actions last year. First, my membership site would be done. Second, my big business portal site would be well on its way to being a blockbuster site. Third, I’d be well on my way to having *at least* a $100K per year business.

It makes me feel like I missed out on what my life could have been had I taken the right actions. But surprisingly, I feel empowered and excited to know what the future holds for me if I take the actions we’re now discussing.

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Rick,

so what’s it going to take NOW for you to just take action and DO IT?

Sean

Rick Smith
    Participant

Sean –

This is where I get bogged down. I review the following every morning; my big, hairy, audacious goal, my why and top 10 reasons, my purpose, and my passion. I’m excited to get started in the morning. I’m able to make *some* progress in the 90 – 120 minutes I have some mornings (not every morning due to schedule which I discussed before).

But by the time I get home in the evening (depending on when I get to work), I’m either too exhausted from everything I had to do at the day job or there’s other stuff that has to be dealt with. The exhaustion is getting better and last night I took about a 30 minute nap before I got started on testing sprinklers. Taking that nap helped immensely.

I may hafta do the same thing again tonight. But tonight, although I have work on the IMB on my calendar, that will most likely hafta change. I have numerous issues still to resolve before our lawn seed can be planted on the 30th. My wife and I talked this morning about pushing back the website completion date (yet again) and re-arranging the schedule (yet again) so I could get the sprinkler/lawn project out of the way. Something has to change.

Either I hafta push back the sprinkler/lawn project (yet again) or I hafta push back the website completion date (yet again). The simple fact of the matter is we’ll soon start running out of time to get the lawn in for this year. We have secondary (irrigation) water only until October 1st and we hafta water it enough until then to get it established. This doesn’t mean I can’t work at all on my big business goals. It just means those goals can’t be the main focus if we focus on the lawn project.

Rick Smith
    Participant

Sean –

I just saw Kevin Stanley’s post on his accountability thread. I like his idea of committing to a dedicated block of time to work on his IMB every day no matter how small the block of time is. So… all of my whining aside, I’ll commit to working on my big business goals at least 30 minutes per day, every day, except Sunday. Some days I may be able to work more than 30 minutes but I’ll commit to 30 minutes right now. The other thing I’ll do is schedule the time block each day. Once we get the lawn project out of the way I can increase my time commitment.

Rick Smith
    Participant

Sean –

I committed yesterday to scheduling the time block to work on my big business goals each day. So last night I created a repeating 30 minute task in Todoist. Now it will show up each day and be in front of my face. It will appear as my second task each day. (The first task will be my daily review. Scripture reading isn’t first only because my wife and I read together each morning and she typically doesn’t get up as early as I do.)

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Rick.

30 minutes is good, Really makes you focus on ONLY doing the important things.

If you exhausted, get some rest.

Seriously, you may be doing too much.

Do less and be more focused. It’s amazing what you can accomplish in just 30 mins a day

Sean

Rick Smith
    Participant

Sean –

I’ve discovered that on those days when I’m really wiped out that doing exactly what you said, taking a 20 – 30 minute nap can work wonders for me. I probably don’t do that as often as I should. And I have a tendency to push myself to the point of exhaustion sometimes. My wife has reminded me numerous times during this recovery process that I have to pay attention to my physical limitations. I’ve always been one to push hard until I hit my limits. I still want to do that but I’ve discovered that I’m hitting my limits sooner than I used to. Though I do have to say that’s getting better as I continue to regain my strength and stamina.

To your point about focusing, I was to be very focused this morning. As a result, in about 90 minutes I completed my daily review and the blueprint “questions to help you dig deep.” If I’m able to do that every day I’ll soon be where I want to be.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this article

Comments are closed.