Get Your Email Delivered

by Buck McDaniel
in
Comments are off for this post.

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Get Your Email Delivered

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Buck McDaniel
    Participant

Fighting spam in the inbox has been an ongoing problem ever since the early days of the Internet. Every email reader has a spam filter built in it and now many, if not most, ESPs (Email Service Provider) have their own filtering in place as well.

Gmail is no different. But, it is different. Google has spent a lot of resources on learning how to trap spam and deliver good emails. They created a system where we can link our main email accounts to Gmail so Gmail can filter out the spam and we still send and receive email from our non-Google email accounts and readers.

Unfortunately, there is a big, gray line between what is spam and what is desirable business email. You probably want to know when something you want to buy goes on sale at a place you shop at regularly. But, that same email can’t easily be distinguished from a similar email from a spammer.

Since spam mimics your desired promotions, spam filters are either too tight, trapping all your good promotional emails, or they are too loose, allowing your inbox to be filled with spam.

Google’s solution is to create a second level of filter to move what might be legitimate promotional emails to a “Promotions” folder. Now, instead of having to wade through all the known spam to find their desired business emails, recipients can look in their Promotions folder that has filtered out most of the spam.

In my next issue, I’ll tell you how and why your email open rates have suddenly crashed.

Sharon Bechtold
    Participant

Interesting. I look forward to learning more. Thnx for sharing.

Buck McDaniel
    Participant

Funny, posting the information here actually started me creating an email series. I think I’ll create a PLR product from them. But I’ll try to post one here each day I have one so you folk can read and apply them for your campaigns.

Buck McDaniel
    Participant

Issue #2 The Gmail Slap

It has been repeatedly reported that 80% of all email traffic is spam or phishing (another category of spam.) More accurately, personal emails consist of about 20% of all email traffic. The word “spam”, like “junk” mail, is most often broadened to include everything but the most personal emails, whether you want the business mail or not.

Because of its superior filtering, many people and businesses have started having Gmail screen all their email even if they don’t otherwise use Gmail. This became very evident when Google changed the algorithm to sort email into the three categories. Marketers have seen drops that range from 70-90% in their open rates. This leads many to believe that Google now filters approximately 80% +/- 10 of all email.

Google’s biggest desire is to clean the inboxes of recipients of all but the email they want to read most and remove all the email they don’t want to see. The Promotions folder now allows Google to separate “Gray email”, or email that can’t easily be determined to be spam, from both the obvious spam and desirable emails in the inbox.

It takes a lot more information than just the text of the email to separate legitimate business email from spam. Google has the unique advantage of having resources all over the web and in just about everyone’s browser cache to more accurately filter spam from legitimate emails.

Using their vast knowledge of websites and email servers, and by tracking people’s browsing histories, Google has created an algorithm that can reasonably separate legitimate email sources from spammers.

When they implemented their algorithm about two months ago in April, it caused some marketer’s email delivery to go from as high as 60% open rate, to as low as 10% or less. It was very shocking and many marketers incomes are still suffering.

The good news is, that as bad as it looks, getting past the email filters isn’t going to be as hard as using SEO to reach page 1. It will take a little preparation, work and time, but there are steps you can take to so your email is recognized as legitimate business email and not spam.

Starting with my next issue, I’ll start addressing, step-by-step how you can strengthen your email credibility and bypass the spam filters.

Buck McDaniel
    Participant

I am probably going to edit these emails as they seem to get longer and longer. I really want to keep them under 300 words, but #3 is over 400 words so I have some editing to do.

The good thing is, I have something to write everyday.

Mark Rhodes
    Participant

Buck,

As a recipient, I don’t need the emails to be short, as long as the content is valuable.

Mark

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

One thing I have noticed lately is that one of the small email providers’ emails are going to spam . . . I don’t want to slander, so not mentioning names . . BUT – test YOUR email campaign – create a dummy gmail address, then subscribe to YOUR list with the dummy gmail address –

if the first email goes to the spam box . . you probably have a problem

Sean

Mark Rhodes
    Participant

Sean,

1. There used to be services that would score an email on the spam scale.

2. I have some problems because I write legitimate emails about hormones.

Mark

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

If the emails are too long, make them 2 – send the 2nd half tomorrow

Sean

Buck McDaniel
    Participant

I know it’s been a long time, but I have finally completed the series and posted it on CuttingEdgePLR.com. I have it on sale for $5.00 right now. If you want to use it as your content, please pay. If you just want to learn from it, I’ll be posting it here daily for the next ten business days.

Buck McDaniel
    Participant

Lesson 0 – Introduction

The Gmail Slap

For Years, the Google search engine has been “slapping” websites by altering its algorithm that ranks websites in the order they fall in the search. Its goal is to put the arrange the results in the order the person searching wants to find. When it introduces a new algorithm, pages that once ranked on first page are slapped to somewhere deep inside the search results.

In April, 2016 Gmail introduced its first profound slap on email delivery. Thousands of email marketers from around the world saw a sudden decline in their open rates. Some report open rates dropping from as high as 60% to as low as 10% or less. It is generally believed that Gmail filters 70-80% of all email deliveries.

Getting past the Gmail filter takes more than just altering your emails. Gmail is now sorting email based on factors including:

• Quality of the content
    • Quality of the source of the email
    • How other Gmail readers treat email from that source
    • many more

This course will give you one step everyday that you can apply to your email campaigns. So, plan to take about 15 minutes a day to read each email and apply what you learn so you can improve your email open rates.

Get ready for Lesson 1

Create a new folder in your inbox and call it “Email Marketing Tips”. Move this and all the other emails in the series into this folder so you can find them and review them as necessary.

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Buck, this is a great example of how someone (and you) can create something that is in great demand right now – but folks don’t even know there is a problem

I wonder what would happen if you started writing articles about gmail email delivery???

Sean

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this article

Comments are closed.