Hard vs Soft Teaching

by Kevin Stanley
in
Comments are off for this post.

Home Page Forums Coaching With Sean Mize Hard vs Soft Teaching

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Stanley
    Participant

Hi Sean

One of the things I’ve read in the past is that you should soft teach in your publicly available content and keep hard teaching for your paying customers.

So for example I could create content about the how using a task list correctly will improve your productivity.

In the soft content I would say what you need to do: list everything somewhere, prioritise each day, choose 3 main tasks etc.

But I wouldn’t include detailed step by step instructions on methods to prioritise or templates for lists etc, these would be saved for the hard teaching in the paid product.

Additional detail could then be added to take it from low tier to medium tier and so on as you have mentioned in the audio trainings in section 2.

What is your opinion on this? Do you think people’s trust is affected if you tell them what to do but don’t give them every detail of how to do it (there is nothing to stop them researching this for themselves after all)?

I personally don’t have a problem with it but I would be interested to get your views based on your experiences.

Cheers
    Kevin

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Kevin,
    that’s one way to look at it . . .

and it works

but in the long run, you’ll find that as you create a lot of training, and you have multiple things to teach them, that you don’t have to hold anything back in the free training, because it will be voluminous and hard to search, but the paid training is more concise and more organized

Sean

Kevin Stanley
    Participant

Thanks Sean – that’s an interesting twist on adding value. I was listening to the first part of designing an expert positioned business tonight and I see how it relates to how you talked about paying for the experience rather than just the commodity.

I found that pretty inspiring to be honest as like you said in the training the cost of information is getting very cheap indeed. When I look at the price of information in the niche I’m interested in (time management) then there is a lot of product out there from established brand names for very little cost which made me wonder if it was suitable for making an income.

But the opportunity for the modern info business would seem to be in being concise, organized and providing a premium experience with access to you, the person they trust, and as far as I can see there is much more opportunity there as there is obviously a limit on the number of people any one person can provide that experience for.

Do I have that right?

Kevin

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Kevin,

yes, you have that right. People are suffering from information overwhelm, and will pay for you to cut that out.

Sean

Kevin Stanley
    Participant

Thanks Sean, I listened to the replay of yesterdays call and picked up the thing about providing 5 minutes free and 60 paid. I will provide the very best information I can in the free training and in my paid information I will add structure, worksheets and whatever else is needed to help them put it into action.

Kevin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this article

Comments are closed.