Help! My WP Site Login Suddenly No Longer Works – plugin compatibility Issue?

by Rick Smith
in
Comments are off for this post.

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Help! My WP Site Login Suddenly No Longer Works – plugin compatibility Issue?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rick Smith 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Rick Smith
    Participant

For some reason, the Notify check box didn’t save on the original post.

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

Depending on how helpful your host is, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Gut reaction is that it’s a clash between plugins – the usual solution for that is to remove the likely offenders and then reinstall one by one.

It could also be as simple as a cookie error – try logging in on a different browser or via a private/incognito window.

Not totally recommended but you can usually “remove” a plugin by deleting it via your control panel or FTP access. Be careful if you do that.

Fiverr can also sometimes be a good place for solving this kind of issue – explain what needs to be done and initially contact 2 or 3 possible vendors rather than buy the gig without talking first.

Rick Smith
    Participant

Trevor –

Thanks for the quick response.

>Gut reaction is that it’s a clash between plugins – the usual solution for that is to remove the likely offenders and then reinstall >one by one.

Good suggestion. I’m quite familiar with that troubleshooting method. I’ve used it many times. This was actually one of the first things I tried this morning (out of a long list of many items). Unfortunately, it didn’t make any difference. I got the error even with all plugins deactivated.

>It could also be as simple as a cookie error – try logging in on a different browser or via a private/incognito window.

I actually cleared all cookies and cache on this machine. However, I haven’t tried logging in from another machine. Just tried it. Same error. I’m gonna upload a file, force-upgrade.php, that someone gave me in the OP FB group and try that.

Rick Smith
    Participant

I just ran force-upgrade.php. I’m cautiously optimistic. I didn’t get any errors when I logged in after running the script.

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

Fingers crossed!

Rick Smith
    Participant

Trevor –

It seems to be working fine so far. More testing on tap today.

Rick Smith
    Participant

Trevor –

I broke it again when I was installing bbPress. Turned out there was a conflict between the OptimizePress theme and bbPress. Long story short. I installed a different plugin and I now have the forums working. I re-ran force-upgrade.php yesterday and my login is working again. I think I can finally put this one to bed. Yeah!!!

Bob Thibodeau
    Participant

Wow! All of that because bbPress? What are you using now for your forum?

Rick Smith
    Participant

Bob –

Yes and no. bbPress itself didn’t cause the issue. It was a conflict between bbPress and the OptimizePress theme. bbPress seems to work fine with the OptimizePress plugin. I found out that this was a known issue in that several people had reported it. Unfortunately, OptimizePress (the company) has done nothing about the issue even though it was first reported at least two years ago. I don’t think bbPress caused the login errors. I think those occurred because something got jacked up in the WP database after uninstalling bbPress. Luckily, I found out about force-upgrade.php which worked great to clean up that issue.

I wound up using Simple:Press for the forums. That plugin seems to work fine with the OptimizePress theme. You can see the page at http://yourpathtoweightloss.com/forums/. There’s not much to see, though. I’ve got two forums in there but I haven’t turned off the security for the forums themselves so they won’t be visible. I turned off the security for the page itself so people in the OptimizePress Facebook forum could see how the page was rendering. It’s not perfect but I’m going with it for now so I can move on to other things.

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

one thing I have learned over time is that the fewer plugins you can use to get the usability you need on your site, the smoother things will run in the long run! the more plugins, the more chance of conflict down the road, during a routine upgrade.

Be sure you are taking full daily backups so that you can, in a worst case scenario, revert to the previous days snapshot and you only lose a day’s posting!

Sean

Rick Smith
    Participant

Sean –

I agree. I have very few plugins installed on that site. I have a plugin that runs daily and weekly backups. The daily backups aren’t full (in that I’m not backing up the full site – maybe I should be). The weekly backups are full. In any case, I don’t think a plugin itself caused the login errors. I think those somehow got caused when I removed the bbPress plugin. No idea how. All I know is that after I removed bbPress, that’s when the trouble began.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this article

Comments are closed.