How to Help Protect Digital Products (.mp4, .pdf) from Being Forwarded to Others

by Dale Tyson
in
Comments are off for this post.

Home Page Forums Ask Anything How to Help Protect Digital Products (.mp4, .pdf) from Being Forwarded to Others

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Sean Mize 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Don Sturgill
    Participant

At some point, Dale, you just have to accept the idea that some will rip off your work. Make sure to include link-backs and watermarks in all you do so you’ll at least get most of the credit. Scoundrels abound.

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

Hollywood struggle to protect their products and they’ve got a big budget to do so.

As Don says, basically live with it – block the obvious culprits if there are any but don’t spend lots of time on it that could otherwise be spent on something productive.

And be careful with doing protection stuff that’s harder for real people to overcome than it is for scammers (things like Captchas don’t worry scammers as they pay someone else to decode them if their software can’t)

Dale Tyson
    Participant

Thanks for the above responses. I did add the website at the bottom of the video.

I’ve been to websites showing a video and I cannot control (pause, rewind, etc) or do a “Save As”.
    Does anyone know how this is done? I’m actually want them to have control to pause and rewind, but not download (easily). Does the method need a WordPress site or can I use Weebly site builder in Hostgator?

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

There’s probably a plugin but personally I like to be able to do more than just press pause/rewind & I tend to assume my site visitors want to as well.

Not download? If they can view it they can download it – I’ve used Screencast-o-matic to do just that so that I can skip past all the waffle on webinars.

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Dale,

I’ll weigh in on this – I agree with Trevor and Don – just don’t worry about folks passing the video along.

worst case, you are getting free traffic to your video – some people pay 50 cents a view to get video traffic, you get it for free if folks share your video

Sean

Richard Beck
    Participant

Being in Software and Web Development for over two decades, I’ve discussed this with many people…

The bottom line is some things are “easier” to protect from “pilferage.” Those are usually downloadable software and web applications. Downloadable software can be protected with licensing systems. Web applications can be protected using membership plugins, licensing systems or custom code. All of these allow the creator to “turn on” and “turn off” a person’s access.

As far as MP4s and PDFs, it is a different ballgame. For the MP4s and PDFs, you could put the best “protection” in place. The “pirate” could simply go through your MP4 or PDF while running a “screen capture” program. For the PDFs, the “pirate” could simply take “screen shots” and create one image file.

In the end, for the “stolen” MP4s and PDFs, I’d look at those the same way Sean does… a way to increase your “reach.”

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

yeah, I’ll weigh in again . . . if they steal from you, they wouldn’t pay anyway.

so you haven’t lost any revenue

it doesn’t happen as much as you fear

Sean

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this article

Comments are closed.