One of the Best JV Giveaways on the Internet

by Rick Smith
in
Comments are off for this post.

Home Page Forums Ask Anything One of the Best JV Giveaways on the Internet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Rick Smith
    Participant

Sean has been challenging many of us to get more eyeballs on what we offer. Well, I have what might be a perfect solution. It’s actually something I knew about but had forgotten about. (Sean mentioned it last year.) Well, thanks to our very own Cynthia Ann Leighton, I got reminded about it yesterday. Cynthia sent me an email about it. It’s called the Self Improvement Giveaway. This is their 11th year doing this.

For the first time in, oh I don’t know ever, I’m finally in a position to take advantage of something like this (thanks in large measure to this site and you folks who keep pushing and encouraging me). I went ahead and signed up. Here’s the signup link if you want to sign up: http://selfimprovementgifts.com/go/104/jv

Is that an affiliate link? Yup. Do I get paid as an affiliate? If you decide to be a paid contributor I do. But it’s not much and that’s not the point. You can sign up as a free contributor if you want. Doesn’t matter to me. In fact, if you don’t want to sign up with my affiliate link just go here: http://selfimprovementgifts.com/. I’ll probably upgrade to be a paid contributor (you’re welcome Cynthia 🙂 ). Again, that’s not the point. Here’s the point. This giveaway has been around a long time. It’s well respected. Sean recommends it.

It’s a great opportunity for several of us (I’m looking at you Remcy and I’m looking at you Keye. 🙂 )

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Great action! Rick, what a great way to get eyeballs to your offer!

Sean

Rick Smith
    Participant

Sean –

Thanks. I’m actually kinda stoked to see what happens with this.

Cynthia Leighton
    Participant

Hi Rick! Yes, thanks for signing up on my affiliate link and upgrading. It counts so that I don’t get downgraded!! Hm. However, I did not get paid anything. I think that’s for people who become members and buy the one time offers rather than becoming paid contributors.

blessings,
    Cynthia

Rick Smith
    Participant

Cynthia –

Oh. I thought you’d get paid an affiliate commission since I signed up and paid under your affiliate ID. Hmmm. I wonder if it worked that way since I paid through their second chance promotion. I’m wondering if that used your affiliate ID. I gotta tell you that I’m less enthusiastic about this whole thing than I was. I paid and committed to it so I’m gonna do it. But what’s this nonsense about getting “downgraded?” And what if I don’t know where to promote to other contributors (which I don’t)?

Many FB groups have strict no promotion policies and many forums require you to post X number of times before promoting. But I paid just like everybody else so my ads should be shown randomly just like everybody else’s. I’m underwhelmed by some of what they’re doing. I’m gonna go ahead with it but I don’t have great hopes for it. Unless the results surprise me I doubt I’ll be doing this next year.

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

I joined under (I think) Rick’s link but only as a free contributor.

The software is the same as Reed Floren used and I guess part of the idea is to stop people getting subscribers without giving any back but downgrading paid contributors certainly isn’t “on” in my view.

I’ll be sending one email out to my small self improvement list so will probably get at least one person joining through that but if you haven’t got a list, that’s less easy.

I’ve got lots of spare emails because I’ve got lots of domains – drop me a message and a link if either of you need one of those to sign up to keep you live in the system.

Rick Smith
    Participant

Trevor –

I did it again. Had most of my reply typed out and lost it. I hate it when I do that. Anyway… I think downgrading paid contributors is garbage and them so. I’ve still got to finish the squeeze page, etc. for my second gift and submit it. I finished editing the PLR this morning. That turned out to be a chore that took longer than I thought. The concepts behind the tips were good but it was pretty easy to tell the English wasn’t written by a native English speaker. I had to rewrite every one of the 101 tips. The good news is, since I have PLR rights to it, I can use the new piece any way I want.

Anyway, I just checked my gift status. My first gift was on page 4 last night (or early this morning). It’s now down to page 7 after barely four hours. That’s absolute crap. So… as Cynthia says this will go down as a learning experience that cost me $27.00 and a fair amount of time. Unless something changes drastically I probably won’t be repeating this mistake. I absolutely hate wasting time and money.

Had I known they had this kind of crap in their system where they downgraded even paid contributors I doubt seriously I would have joined it. I guess all I can do at this point is finish what I said I was gonna finish and ride it to the end. I’ll promote it where I can. The problem is so many FB groups and forums are so anal about not promoting these days that it’s almost not worth it.

I appreciate your support with the additional domains. I’m just not inclined to do that.

Rick Smith
    Participant

Trevor –

I just thought of this. Since I know you signed up as a free contributor, I’d be interested to compare notes once the giveaway is over.

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

Will do on the notes – not keeping much track as only one gift – apparently I’ve had 1 click and am on page 11. Just had a signup so there’s a fair chance the click turned into that.

I think this was the same giveaway Sean used just over a year ago & I remember signing up to all sorts of lists with a view to maybe teaming up with some of the people – got as far as signing up (and have received over 9,000 emails as a result) but never did anything else. But that could be a way to get value for your $27 – join list, get a few emails, reply with an “I think we’ve got a good fit” message and take it from there. That would be a numbers game but could work nicely, even if it’s just someone in the same niche to bounce ideas off on Skype every now and then (I do that with a few people in the IM niche, usually them contacting me because I’m a bit lazy like that!)

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

Almost forgot – the work you’ve done on the giveaways doesn’t need to be kept just for this. You can link to them from your site, YouTube videos, document shares, etc. Maybe even from some Facebook groups if you’re careful.

Rick Smith
    Participant

Trevor –

You’re correct. This is the same giveaway Sean was talking about a year or so ago. I like your idea of signing up with some of the other promoters and maybe having some discussions. You’ve already got one sub. Good. I’ve gotten one click and zero subs. 🙁 Now. I’m certainly not gonna make any decisions based on one click.

I know I could promote the giveaways through my site, etc. I probably won’t do that, at least for now. I want to keep the results as clean as I can, at least for the moment. Of course, it would have helped if I would created a separate thank you page for the first gift. I didn’t think of it until after Cynthia mentioned it. Oh well.

What I can obviously do is promote the gifts after the giveaway is over. And that’s exactly what I plan to do. In fact, what I want to do is do some A/B testing of the two squeeze pages, etc. But that’s in the future. For now, here’s what I told Kathy I’d do.

1. Finish my second gift and get everything submitted.
    2. Look more closely at the promotion tools Kathy mentioned.
    3. Promote where I can as much as I can.
    4. Not make any decisions until the event is over.
    5. Enjoy the ride as much as I can.

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

All 5 points sound good (and fairly certain it was Sean’s suggestion to touch base with other people).

Screen shot of my ad below in case that helps with your ads – looks like 2 clicks now & I just got a second sign up which is higher conversion than I’d expect. Whether they turn into buyers is anyone’s guess but cost is borderline zero (I didn’t upgrade, Aweber charges in blocks of subscribers).

Rick Smith
    Participant

Trevor –

I really don’t know what the problem is. I’m assuming I don’t have any subscribers yet because I haven’t gotten any emails to that effect. GetResponse should email me (I think) when I get a new subscriber. Though to be quite honest, I haven’t tested that part of the system. This is the first test. Guess I oughtta check my GetResponse back end to be sure, huh? I’m hoping to spend some time in the giveaway back end this weekend analyzing things a bit.

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

On the JV giveaway, just in case they downgrade you if you don’t introduce any new members, use the email address I sent you to “get” a member.

On GeResponse, there’s probably a list setting (I know there is on Aweber) that you have to tell it to notify you of new subscribers.

Testing => go into your hosting control panel, add an email forwarder that forwards to your regular email address. Use that to test.

Good luck! Lots of moving parts, none particularly complicated but at least most of them need to be in place – don’t be afraid to use the help systems and move on until you get a reply.

Rick Smith
    Participant

Trevor –

I did some research last night. I found that I was now up to seven clicks. Woot woot. 🙂 I also found my Facebook ID and “liked” the SI page which gave me another 20 system points. I’ll probably get the one member you told me about. I’m pretty sure I already rick@yourpathtoweightloss.com forwarded to rick@netguerrilla.org. In fact, I know I do.

I just to my GetResponse back end to see if I could figure out what was going on. Turns out I’ve gotten six subscribers and one unsubscribe so far. So seven clicks, six subscribes. Pretty good ratio. What would be interesting to know is how times my gift has been shown. I don’t know if they even track that stat.

I also checked to make sure subscriber notifications are turned on. They are. I don’t believe I’ve received any so far. I don’t remember seeing any of them in my spam folder. However, it’s possible they’re in the 1and1 spam bucket. (I have two levels of spam protection and sometimes trash still gets through.) I don’t remember seeing any of them in the daily reports but I scan those pretty quickly. I’ll check the 1and1 spam bucket later and test this with the account you gave me.

Forgot to mention this gift has moved up to page 8. I’ll be adding my second gift today. I’m feeling much better about this giveaway.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this article

Comments are closed.