Opt-in | Intro Training Sequence and Response

by Don Sturgill
in
Comments are off for this post.

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Opt-in | Intro Training Sequence and Response

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Don Sturgill
    Participant

I am recording what a 5-part (or so) audio series, about 15 minutes each, as an initial training and opt-in gift. I figure to offer the print version for sale, but the audio is free. I’m thinking to deliver by hosting on SoundCloud and sending the link for each part via email.

I’m a bit confused about how to do it, though. Your observations and ideas would be much appreciated.

Here are my thoughts: I don’t want to send the next section until the subscriber finishes the preceding section. I’m thinking I could set up a brief survey/questionaire after each that will show me they’ve completed the work and will allow me to further qualify/segment the audience. I’m not sure how to pull that off, though. I could hand muck it in the beginning, but will want to set up an automated solution at some soon point.

I know most folks won’t get past the first teaching. I hate it, but I know it’s true. At least I’ll be able to quantify the completion rate by not auto-dripping each section.

Do you think my basic plan is sound, or am I over-complicating it and/or giving too much away? Can you suggest tools to implement the process? I chose GetResponse as my mailing platform, but could switch without any trouble if needed.

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

Probably over-complicating 🙂

If you self-hosted on WordPress then you could put a delay link at the end of each recording page to go to the next one – but that doesn’t stop people like me leaving the tab open until the link appears – there are some more complicated options that would force the tab to be the focus but that’s awkward with audio as you may well be taking notes, etc while it’s playing.

Or you could use a quiz style plugin to reveal the link. But that’s high hassle for a freebie and even for a paid-for course.

Drip feed by auto-responder is a reasonable compromise and one that works without any intervention on your part or the user once it’s set up. For a freebie, that’s OK in my view. One recording a day for X days with a reason to click & listen.

If it was me, I’d either do a single download page with links to each of the audios (uploaded in WordPress and then edited to open in a new window) or, if I was feeling keen, load them into a daily drip autoresponder.

Don Sturgill
    Participant

I appreciate your perspective, Trevor.

Please clarify how you would host and deliver the mp3’s.

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

In WordPress, there’s the option when you’re adding or editing a post (or page) to “Add Media”. This may look long-winded but it’s probably as quick to do as it is to read:

* Click at the place in the post where you want to add the MP3
    * Click that button that says “Add Media”
    * Click “Upload Files”
    * Drag & drop the MP3 or locate it after you click “Select Files”
    * Change the title that’s (usually) automatically generated if you want/need to.
    * Check the “Link to” box says Media file (it probably will)
    * Click the Insert into post button
    * Click the link that’s been put into your post – there’s the option to delete it or edit it, select the edit option
    * Click the link options cog wheel
    * Tick “open link in a new tab” & click Update
    * Publish/update the post

The MP3 would then be hosted on your website.

You’d deliver them by sending people to that page whether that’s in your autoresponder or somewhere else.

Don Sturgill
    Participant

Much appreciated. My consternation about hosting audio files (or video) on my own is the drain it can place on my account and on load time. I do see that Google Drive will host both file and player. That may be the way. NOTE to Sean: It looks as professional as SoundCloud to me.

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

MP3’s will only start loading when someone cicks on the file.

Videos will depend on how you display them but if it’s a separate link, again that won’t affect your bandwidth until someone clicks.

Even cheap shared hosting will be OK until you start getting a lot of people watching/listening at the exact same time.

Google Drive will likely have bandwidth limits (Dropbox certainly does) – bandwidth costs money to deliver but in practice most people don’t get anywhere close to the limits that are hidden behind “unlimited” claims.

Cross the bandwidth bridge when you’re lucky enough to get to it!

Howard Giles
    Participant

I have been using Amazon S3 to host files (audio as well as video) so visitors can live stream to watch on my site or to download. I believe you can sign up for S3 and have a free account for the first year. I am past the first year and their rates for storage and bandwidth are very low.

Don Sturgill
    Participant

It’s not just running out of bandwidth that concerns me, Trevor. I use SiteGround’s medium package. Even with the client sites I host, there’s plenty of room. My concern is for slowing down load time and affecting the user experience/SEO.

Howard, I took the S3 trial when it first came out, but never used it. I should revisit the idea. There’s no audio player or any frills, though, right? For now, Google Drive seems adequate and appropriate.

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

If you’re just putting links on the page to the recording (as per Sean’s example and my suggestion) you won’t be slowing the page down discernably – a few extra bytes for the link which no-one will notice.

The links Sean puts in just play in your browser. Or you can right click & save the file to play elsewhere. Same would happen with S3 hosting and I guess that the other options you’re exploring would give the opportunity to save files locally as well.

Siteground looks like a decent enough host and I’m sure if you get close to any limits they’ll happily sell you an upgrade.

Often it’s a case of ready, fire, aim. Adjust once you find out what’s happening rather than running through all those scary “what ifs” 🙂

Howard Giles
    Participant

I did the same thing Don. I am using the Compact Audio Player WordPress plugin on my page at http://loftygoalinfo.com/supplement303/. The audio file is at S3 and I am using a static image of me as a “video-type” thumbnail”.

This is a bonus page for readers of my soon-to-be-published kindle book and generally not designed to be accessed by means other than the above url being shared in the book.

Don Sturgill
    Participant

Thank you, Howard. Good work.

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

if load time slows down when 100 people are listening to your audio, your host has a problem – you don’t have a decent server, bandwidth is an issue, etc

of course, amazon s3 is a great solution for some – I have never been able to understand how it works (yes, yes, me – sometimes I get a mental technology block, that’s why so much of what I do is done very simply)

candid transparency 🙂

Sean

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this article

Comments are closed.