Rick's Accountability

by Rick Smith
in
Comments are off for this post.

Home Page Forums Your Accountability Rick's Accountability

This topic contains 482 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Rick Smith 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 482 total)
  • Author

Rick Smith
    Participant

I decided to take a step back and perform the steps in the order Sean has laid out. Here’s what I’ve completed so far today.

1. Reviewed Sheila Solomon’s blueprint. It’s a very well put together blueprint.
    2. Completed the Welcome and Starter Instructions section.
    3. Completed the following steps from the goal furnace (in order); introduction to the goal furnace, goals need a system to be realized, introduction to achieving your goal, why you have to set a concrete goal, the purpose of the process and the daily schedule, the order of operations for achieving your goal.

Next up are the items surrounding my big goal. I plan to have those items done by later tonight.

Rick Smith
    Participant

I completed the remaining steps in the goal furnace so today I completed all 10 steps in the goal furnace. (I thought I’d get my blueprint done too but I think I’m done for the night. That’s a lot of work.)

So… without further ado here’s my goal furnace.

What’s your big goal?

Niche – 15 million people in the U.S. alone who are morbidly obese (100 pounds or more overweight).

Big, Hairy, Audacious Goal – Assist at least 1,000,000 people (approx. 7%) in the niche to remove from their lives forever at least 100 pounds per person for a total of 100 million pounds gone from the world. Sharon and I will complete this goal by July 1, 2026.

I’ll start by teaching 150,000 people (1% of the overall niche) how to release their excess weight and keep it off forever. My initial goal is to have 345 members paying $27 per month for access to my site yourpathtoweightloss.com. That will provide an income of $9,315 per month.

This site will begin with an initial 13 week membership program (actually 15 weeks including an introductory lesson and a bonus). I’m considering adding other content to make the site “sticky.” I’m also considering adding an “advanced” membership for an additional 13 weeks.

The membership site will be the beginning. I’ll eventually grow this site (or perhaps have another site) into a 1 million person big business portal site. The portal site will have tons of free content and be the hub for fitness information. The portal will also provide access to low cost information as well as home study courses, coaching programs, etc.

What would it mean for you to achieve your big goal?

The most obvious benefit to me and my family is the financial aspect. This would allow me to pay off some debts as well as have a more comfortable lifestyle. However, this goal goes much deeper for me. I’m 6 feet 4 inches tall. In January 2009, I weighed 333 pounds. So I was in that 100 pounds or more overweight niche. I know exactly how people in this niche feel.

Starting in January 2009 I began to take my health seriously. In 2 1/2 years I lost 117 pounds. Since that time I’ve continued to keep the weight off (though I gained back a little bit of the weight – and I’m working to release that weight again). I’ll be teaching people how to remove their excess weight and keep it off by doing what I did. I’ll literally be showing others how to save their own lives.

In addition to assisting others with saving their own lives, I’ll continue to save my own life. I want to be here for as long as I can for my wife, my children, and my grandchildren. By teaching these concepts to others I have to be a good role model.

Also, because I’ll be on my way to achieving financial freedom, I’ll also have time freedom. Sharon and I will be able to spend more time together and visit places we’ve wanted to visit for years.

What’s been holding you back from achieving your big goal? What are the three biggest things holding you back?

1. Lack of time (or improper scheduling or failure to prioritize). Sometimes life just gets in the way and I’m not able to devote the time I want to getting the site completed. I have a day job that consumes at least eight hours per day. I work out five to six times per week. (I go through tons of Sean’s audios during my workouts.<g>) The workouts don’t usually get in the way of my project work. I do the project work before I do my workouts and in the evenings.Still, the workouts consume 2 1/2 – 3 hours or so per week.

2. Fear of failure. Sean and I have discussed this before. Sean sent me an audio to listen to which I did. I have a task in my tracking system to start reviewing daily Sean’s scriptures on fear. Yet I still haven’t added this item to my daily activities. That said, daily reviewing my why, purpose, and passion mind maps have gone a long way to eliminate the fear so it’s not as big of an issue as it was.

3. Lack of energy. I most often work on my project work early in the morning. I typically get up between 5:30 am and 6:00 am. I work on my projects for an hour to two hours before I do my workouts. I have it on my schedule to work on my info products two nights per week plus time on Saturdays.

But I’m often tired when I get home at night after working a full day at the day job so I don’t have the energy (or don’t feel like I have the energy) to work on info products. This has been even more pronounced since havng my two surgeries in April.

Though my doctors have told me I’m doing very well, it’s been taking me longer than I expected to get my energy, strength, and stamina back to pre-surgery levels. Depending on the day I’m now at about 80% or so most days. But I still have days when I’m so wiped out at night that it’s about all I can do to lay on the couch.

How much longer are you willing to allow those things to hold you back?

NO LONGER! I’m so tired of spinning my wheels it’s not funny. On a scale of 1 – 10 I’m at about a 50 with respect to being ready to finally l earning the income I deserve and living the lifestyle I deserve.

Rick Smith
    Participant

It’s been a couple of days since I posted about my accountability.

Thursday, June 9th – in addition to what I already posted on Thursday I completed the following lessons:

1. What’s your big goal?
    2. What would it mean to you to complete your big goal?
    3. What’s been holding you back from achieving your big goal?
    4. How much longer are you willing to allow those things to hold you back?

Friday, June 10th – I completed the following lesson:

Introduction to creating a blueprint for your business.

Friday was a very hard day at the day job. I had to do a lot of research and it drained my mental and emotional energy. When I got home I had nothing left to work on IMB and I let this frustrate me.

Saturday, June 11th – I completed nothing for my blueprint today. I did listen to several of Sean’s audios when I ran just over 4 miles and while assisting with the cleaning of my church building. I had some yard work planned for today but it rained pretty hard so I had to scrap that plan.

I was gonna use that time to work on my IMB but my wife and son talked me into going to see a movie instead, telling me I could work on it afterward. Well, after the movie I had no energy to work on my IMB (I guess because I’m still not back to 100% post surgery). I let it frustrate me again. I tried to take a nap but wound up not sleeping and watched another movie on TV. I don’t know if I have the energy to do much beyond completing this post and watching another TV movie later. It’s very frustrating. I had plenty of energy this morning. I’ve got almost nothing left in the tank now.

Rick Smith
    Participant

You might have read on Dave’s accountability thread how frustrating for me this whole issue of a couple of days blowing up had become. Here’s what I’ve decided to do. (Amazing how much clarity you can get after a good night’s sleep.) I’m going to learn to roll with it. That doesn’t mean I’m not gonna still hold myself accountable. I will. It just means I’m gonna quit beating myself up over it. One day (or even two) isn’t gonna kill anything.

So…all of that said, here’s what I’m gonna do to fix this. My plan is to do this today. It might be overly ambitious (which is something I have to be careful of – the tendency to overcommit myself).

1. Integrate Todoist with Google Calendar. I’ve decided to do this for one reason and one reason only. For some reason, Todoist doesn’t have its own calendar component. (Many of the task management systems I’ve looked at do have an in app calendar component.) Because of that it’s hard to see at a glance if I’ve scheduled tasks in a way that makes sense or if I’ve overloaded myself on a given day. Other than that, I’m not gonna worry about using this functionality for time blocking purposes. The reason is because Sean’s action management concept resonates more with me.
    2. Reschedule the tasks that blew up last weekend, taking into account the work I’m planning to do on my blueprint.
    3. Reschedule subsequent tasks if necessary.
    4. Work on my blueprint, specifically the lesson “Questions to Help You Dig Deep to Develop Your Blueprint.”
    5. Update my schedule spreadsheet so it more accurately reflects my overall IMB work schedule.

Rick Smith
    Participant

I hate days like today. Day job got in the way most of the day.<g> Seriously, I can sometimes squeeze in work on IMB tasks during the day. All kidding aside, I didn’t get as much done today as I’d planned. Ran into issues with integrating Todoist with Google Calendar. It worked but I found out that it would sync only every 8 – 24 hours.

That’s not very convenient when you’re trying to determine visually whether one’s tasks are realistically distributed. 8 – 24 hours to sync would take way too long to see my changes. So I wound up with a temporary solution called Sunrise Calendar. It will sync every two minutes which should be fine. Unfortunately, it’s temporary because Microsoft bought them and the tool is being integrated into Outlook which of course isn’t done. But I guess I’ll have use of it until Aug. 31st. So I guess I’ll continue with the process tomorrow.

Rick Smith
    Participant

Been a couple of days since I posted here.

Went into the weeds yesterday for a bit checking out the “90 day year.” Don’t waste your time. Sean’s concepts of purpose, passion, blueprint, & daily tracks are way more complete, ring more true, & are a way better $ value.

Back on track today. Worked on my blueprint questions to “help me dig deep” this morning. I’ll post it here when the blueprint is done. Couldn’t work on it tonight. Had to spray my yard for weeds. We’re having it seeded on the 30th & we have to wait two weeks after spraying. Today was only the second day this week where it wasn’t raining or too windy to spray.

Cynthia Leighton
    Participant

Rick, your posts inspire me!

You’re accomplishing a lot in your life.

blessings,
    Cynthia

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Rick,

Glad to hear you are “digging deep”

sometimes it just needs to happen!

Sean

Rick Smith
    Participant

Cynthia –

Thanks so much. I appreciate that. Sometimes I can’t see the forest for the trees and I don’t realize how much I’ve done or am doing.

Sean, very true. I’ve told you before that your questions cause me to think deeply (I know that’s how they’re designed). I usually get some great clarity when I go through one of your exercises. More than one of your exercises, trainings, or whatever has caused me to change how I do something or think about something. So now it’s time for me to be accountable.

I had every intention on Saturday (the 18th) of finishing my big business blueprint. Didn’t happen. Why not? Because of everything else (as Cynthia says) that I’m accomplishing in my life. Sometimes all of those other things get in the way of working on my IMB. That’s part of the reason I agreed to be Sean’s “guinea pig” in the new thread in the coaching forum. Back to accountability.

Saturday, the 18th

1. Assisted a neighbor with installing sod. Several people showed up so that lasted only an hour. Still was quite a good workout.
    2. Worked on adjusting sprinkler patterns in my yard. This got cut short because the GFCI started tripping again. All of this has to be finished before our lawn can be seeded on June 30th.
    3. Prepared for Wood Badge (a leadership course for Scout leaders) staff orientation. I’m serving on staff again and am one of the senior staff members this time.
    4. Went to dinner with my wife. Glad we did that so we stay somewhat grounded in all the craziness.
    5. Attended Wood Badge staff orientation.

Sunday, the 19th

1. Attended church as I do every Sunday.
    2. Took a nap because I woke up way too early that morning.
    3. Began looking into more closely aligning the way I use Todoist with GTD (Getting Things Done). What started this direction was the whole big business blueprint thing. I realized that my areas of focus, core values, and business weren’t all properly aligned. I’ve known for awhile that I want them to be in alignment but haven’t ever figured out how to accomplish that with any action management tool I’ve ever used. I think I’ve finally figured this out.
    4. Went to my son’s house for a nice Father’s Day get together.

Monday, the 20th

Completed so far today

1. Started putting together the ideas for realigning for my areas of focus, core values, business, etc.

What I’m planning to do for the rest of today

1. Troubleshoot the sprinkler GFCI issue and hopefully determine what’s causing that.
    2. Work on the big business blueprint. (I’d rather have it be the top priority but it can’t be until I get these sprinkler issues resolved.)

Rick

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Great work! now the next step is to evaluate each day what you said you would do the day before, and ask why or why not you did or did not accomplish it.

is it chronic that you don’t finish your list?

if so, why, and what needs to change?

Sean

Rick Smith
    Participant

First off, my report from yesterday.

Completed on Monday, the 20th

1. Troubleshot the GFCI/sprinkler issue. Determined that the freezer that’s on the same garage (GFCI) circuit is what’s causing it to trip. It must be too much of a load for the GFCI breaker when both the sprinklers and the freezer are running. (I’m reporting this non big business goal stuff so everyone can see in context what’s going on – I’m going to cut down on that to reduce some of the clutter that’s not really necessary). So it was good that I got that accomplished but now I have to figure out what to do to fix it and it may require an electrician.

2. Read part of this month’s GKIC (Dan Kennedy) “No B.S. Newsletter.”

Worked on today, June 21st

1. Got a good start on implementing my GTD tweaks in Todoist. I’m liking how that’s shaping up alignment wise. I’m feeling much better about that.

Scheduled for tonight

More sprinkler adjustment work to get ready for the lawn seeding.

Sean –

>now the next step is to evaluate each day what you said you would do the day before, and ask why or why not you did or did not >accomplish it.
    >is it chronic that you don’t finish your list?
    >if so, why, and what needs to change?

Historically, I haven’t done a good job at daily reviews. I really do hafta get better at them. My wife and I do weekly reviews but they’re more calendar scheduling sessions than they are review sessions. So I have some work to do there as well. I’m going to do what I do a lot of times when you ask me questions that require me to think. I’m gonna think about them, more specifically I’m gonna think about how I can incorporate these very questions into a daily review.

Rick Smith
    Participant

Sean –

Last night I created a repeating daily task to perform a daily review each morning. It’s the first task I’ll do each morning. I’ll review what I completed the day before, analyze what I completed, move forward any uncompleted tasks, and review my productivity spreadsheet from the day before. (Hmmm. Just realized I should add all of these items either as subtasks or as a task comment so I don’t miss anything.) I’ll also review my calendar each morning.

So this morning I did the review and realized something when I reviewed my productivity spreadsheet. There are things on there that I completed that aren’t in Todoist. That means I didn’t enter those tasks in Todoist and mark them as complete. So I didn’t give myself “credit” for everything I completed yesterday. The only things that showed up for yesterday in Todoist as completed tasks were tasks unrelated to my big business goals. I’ll be fixing that today.

Cynthia Leighton
    Participant

Your daily review is a good ide for first thing each mrning.

Repeating daily tasks seem to be helping me.

Slowly, inch by inch I gain skills as I put them into practice.

blessings,

Cynthia

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Rick,

yes, the evaluation phase is critical

but also beware not to make evaluation and addicting task itself, something done for the sake of itself πŸ™‚

do it, then move on with your new intelligence from it each day

Sean

Rick Smith
    Participant

Cynthia –

Yes. When I create a daily task to remind myself to do something it’s in my face until I get the task done.

Sean, I can definitely get addicted to task evaluation. (Ask me how I know that. πŸ™‚ ) I have to be careful not to do that.

Accountability update.

June 22nd

1. Completed first daily review. (Discussed yesterday.)
    2. Worked on my big business goals by attending Sean’s live training and listening to the first 79 minutes of the recording.
    3. Made more progress on the sprinkler project.
    4. Read scriptures.

June 23rd (so far)

1. Completed daily review.
    2. Completed blueprint “questions to help you dig deep.” I’ll post this here later on today.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 482 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this article

Comments are closed.