Tracking Productivity

by Rick Smith
in
Comments are off for this post.

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Tracking Productivity

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rick Smith
    Participant

I’m curious.

Does anyone else track their productivity?

If so, what tools do you use? What criteria do you use for measuring your productivity?

Mark Rhodes
    Participant

Yes, Rick.

I used to do it with Excel. I made a big list of things I could do. Then I would pull out a short list of things I need to do “this week.” For each thing (going vertically) and each day (going horizontally), I tallied when the thing got accomplished that day. I felt pretty good with at least 28 tallies for the week. A tally usually represented about 90 minutes. So, four per day represented about 6 hours of productivity.

I dropped that during a fruitless 6-month project. I think I just got too discouraged.

Then I went to mind map software for my list of things to do for the day, for a project, etc. Those worked pretty well as reminders but do not really measure productivity. I just put things in order and go down the list (more or less).

But this week, I started something totally different that I really like. The software is called The Momentum Generator. It works kind of like my Excel approach, but each activity has an allotted time and a timer. And it kicks out a simple report showing productivity. I don’t need the report because the timers work so well. I start a timer and work on that item. When its done, I take a little break and start the next timer.

For example, I have 10 timers for today. Seven are done. One is half done. The other two may get a little attention, or they may not. It doesn’t really matter because I’m happy getting those first ones checked off. Then tomorrow’s a new day.

Mark

Rick Smith
    Participant

Mark –

I use Todoist (todoist.com) to track my priorities, actions, etc. One thing I really like about it is the UI is same for all my devices. I use a LibreOffice (Excel compatible if I want) to track only my IMB productivity items. However, I know there are some Todoist integrations that may allow me to streamline that. Eliminating a step would be great. Sean suggested to me on another thread that I have as a goal hitting 50% productivity for my monthly goal. I think the way I’m going to track that is through a daily questions spreadsheet (discussed at some length in the book “Triggers.”)

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

I simply work on my “one Thing” first each day.

I highly suggest reading the book The ONE Thing by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan

Sean

Rick Smith
    Participant

Sean –

I can’t remember when I read it but I previously read “The ONE Thing.” I should probably read it again.

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

yes, mandatory reading if you aren’t using the principle everyday

that is the principle I use each day and it would be very hard to produce what I do without it – it probably has doubled my productivity

Sean

Rick Smith
    Participant

Sean –

I’ll read it again.

Julia Stueber
    Participant

Even though I am a complete nerd and love doing everything on a computer/mobile device, I have been using a bullet journal on *gasps* real paper for 3 months now. As it is extremely flexible and adjustable to your own needs it is the only paper type I can work with and I love writing down things by hand – feels like a contract to me.

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Julia,

Thanks for sharing that! I feel the same way about paper – it simply makes it feel more real!

Sean

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this article

Comments are closed.