Traffic Analysis Wesbites

by Rick Smith
in
Comments are off for this post.

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Traffic Analysis Wesbites

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rick Smith
    Participant

If you’ve listened to many of Sean’s audios on getting and analyzing traffic, one site that he mentions more than once is compete.com. I was in the process yesterday of creating my tracking spreadsheet for my 100 traffic sources. Prior to that, I’d listened to several of Sean’s traffic audios. I got reminded of alexa.com and compete.com. So during my research yesterday I went to take a look at compete.com. Apparently, they’re no longer in business. Here’s what’s on their site:

“As of December 31, 2016, Compete.com and the Compete PRO platform have been shut down. It has been an honor and pleasure to serve you over the past 15 years and we thank you for your patronage. It’s our sincere hope that our data and services have helped you to grow your business.

Thank you for your support, The Compete team”

I discovered (through the Firefox Alexa plugin – which shows similar sites) that are plenty of other similar sites. quantcast.com looks like a good one. trafficestimate.com could also be a good one. I haven’t researched it too much yet.

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

Traffic figures are always finger in the air unless it’s your own site.

Compete used to be fairly OK for US figures but hopelessly wrong for UK based sites. The problem is that they’re like TV viewing figures – extrapolated (math term for guesswork) from small data.

Just checked and Quantcast gave me no results for a site I look after that has around 100k visitors/week. TrafficEstimate was out by a factor of 40 (it guessed 10k visits/month rather than over 400k)

Alexa is based on the people who voluntarily install their toolbar in a browser so position ranks are heavily skewed but are kind-of useful in comparing similarish sites in similarish niches.

Rick Smith
    Participant

Trevor –

I know traffic figures can a shot in the dark at best and several orders of magnitude off at worst. And Sean says right in the audios that the figures are estimates.

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

Been a while since I listened to those particular audios but in my view they are the internet equivalent of reading tea leaves or entrails 🙂

Plus even the same site can vary wildly in popularity – forums tell you that with post and view counts. I can’t find the precise reference but I remember reading that the Guardian newspaper has wildly different page view counts for their articles with most closer to ghost town levels than they’d like.

Track once you start getting some traffic: most log analysis programs will show who referred people to your site. Until then it’s probably down to gut reaction.

Rick Smith
    Participant

Trevor –

Good dose of reality. Thanks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this article

Comments are closed.