Web Hosting

by Rick Smith
in
Comments are off for this post.

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Web Hosting

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rick Smith
    Participant

I’m currently using 1and1 as my web host. They’re going $2 per month (from $8.99 to $10.99) on May 17th. I know $2 per month isn’t much of an increase but it’s the principle. I don’t know what I’m getting for my additional $2 per month. So I’m thinking seriously of changing web hosts, even as much of a hassle as that is. I’m looking closely at SiteGround. Any thoughts on them or any other hosts?

Don Sturgill
    Participant

I switched to Siteground a year ago and I’m totally pleased. I wouldn’t switch back to GoDaddy or Bluehost or Orange… or any of the others I’ve tried for anything. I have a referral link a friend used last month to get the best deal: https://www.siteground.com/go/roadturn … whether you use it or not, Siteground gets my vote big time, Rick.

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

Just had the same kind of increase with 1&1 here in the UK – thought it was just something to do with the pound’s drop in value after the Brexit vote.

Changing hosts can be a hassle. Given that 1&1 is a non-standard control panel the amount of hassle will depend on what you’re hosting – if it’s just WordPress there are various migration tools that usually work (depends on host) but double check any other files get moved as well.

Not used Siteground but they’re not owned by EIG (the company that’s run Hostgator into the ground) so should be OK.

Rick Smith
    Participant

Trevor –

I figured the 1and1 increase was an across the board thing. Changing hosts is a huge hassle. SiteGround says they’ll do a free (complete) site transfer for you. I just chatted with someone on FB who said she used it and it went great.

Yes. I also learned the hard way about the EIG owned hosting companies.

Don –

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll check out your link. I’m happy to use it but I want to make sure u get the credit. Also, I found out a little while ago that yoast.com is hosted on SiteGround. That’s HUGE!

Don Sturgill
    Participant

That link is associated with my account, Rick. I don’t know how the credit works, but I believe I would get free SSL for a year (or something like that). Regardless, though, I would recommend Siteground to anyone. I’m totally pleased. They will do the transfer. If you need help, I’ve done some for clients. It’s not huge, just a bit tricky.

Rick Smith
    Participant

Don –

Great. Thanks. My biggest concern is that my email not be down. That domain is on site other than the one I them to transfer. Their pre-sales support team just told me they’ll do a “CPanel transfer.” But… 1and1 doesn’t use CPanel. The support guy said their affiliate team would contact you.

Don Sturgill
    Participant

Rick… I’m in meetings all day, but can get the work going tonight. I need admin logins for your site, your current hosting back-end, and your domain registrar. roadturn@gmail.com

Rick Smith
    Participant

Don –

It’s a done deal. I signed up & I just requested the site transfer. I used your affiliate link. If you don’t hear something from them in a reasonable amount of time, let me. Let’s don’t worry for now about the rest of it. I’ll let them work their magic. If I run into any issues I’ll let you know. It’s been a pretty painless process so far.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this article

Comments are closed.