Your Opinion on Adding a "Login" Form to My Order Thank You Page

by Rick Smith
in
Comments are off for this post.

Home Page Forums Ask Anything Your Opinion on Adding a "Login" Form to My Order Thank You Page

This topic contains 24 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Rick Smith 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Cynthia Leighton
    Participant

Rick,

So someone buys the membership, then gets to this page after the login form if you use it. My opinion is yes this would be useful for you and for them so you could communicate with buyers.

Weight loss is a wide open field in terms of people’s familiarity with technology. My next opinion with your page is about that! I think you might need to be more explicit than “You’ll soon be receiving a confirmation email.” followed right after by whitelisting. Specifically, if you are going to do this, you might need to also add something about opening that email and clicking the confirm link. Otherwise some people will get lost in whitelisting. I say this because once upon a time as a software engineer I was quite surprised by the non-technology savvy-ness of actual technology people.

blessings,
    Cynthia

Sean Mize
    Keymaster

Rick

you are right about doing those things, they make sense the way you say

but think about your own experience – being told again and again by everyone you subscribe to, to whitelist them . . . do you actually do that each time you see that page.

Also – with the confirmation email – as long as you give them the download page to the product they just bought, it actually doesn’t matter if they confirm or not.

And since they are on your list anyhow, if they bought something, then it doesn’t matter if they confirm.

these things just don’t matter – so you might as well use the real estate for something else . . .like put the training page, get them to DO the first lesson, and so on . .

Glad to hear and see that you are willing to debate here a bit, makes this a stronger forum!

Sean

Rick Smith
    Participant

Cynthia –

I’m mulling over what you said about the login form. I can probably add a login form to this process flow. Does it make sense to add it? Now I’m not sure.

Sean –

Do I click confirmation links? 99% of the time I do. That’s because I rarely subscribe to something I don’t want. 🙂 Does that mean I don’t unsub later? No. I might unsub later. Do I whitelist email addresses? I don’t usually bother with that except when I’m forced to. Sometimes 1and1 email will get false positives and I have to go into my 1and1 email account to fix the issue. But that would be waaaaay beyond what most people would do.

To your other points:

1. They’re getting the confirmation email whether I (or they) like it or not. The plugin requires a confirmation email. However… this confirmation email comes from OptimizeMember not from GetResponse. I’m not using double opt-ins or confirmation emails there at all. GetResponse is where I’m maintaining my campaigns and lists. I don’t know or care what confirmation email the plugin is sending. I don’t know why it even matters or why the plugin even sends it. Ok. So I don’t even have to worry about the wording for that issue. I can remove it.

Uh-oh. Just had a thought. That confirmation email might contain their username and password for the membership. I’ll have to check into that. Maybe I can’t eliminate it.

2. And if I don’t care about the confirmation email I don’t have to worry about the whitelisting, either. So I can remove that text as well.

Conclusions:

1. I think I’ll add a “login” form per Cynthia’s suggestion. That will handle moving buyers off the prospect list and onto the buyers list. I can have just first name and email address on this “login” form since it’s really an opt-in form.

2. I have to find out if the plugin generated confirmation email contains the buyer’s membership username and password. If so, I’ll have to change the wording on the order thank you page. If not, I can remove the confirmation wording on the order thank you page.

3. I can probably send the buyer right to the intro lesson after they’ve purchased.

Much food for thought as always.

Rick Smith
    Participant

Sean –

I got some clarity around this whole thing this morning. The “confirmation” email isn’t really a confirmation email. That’s just what they call it. It’s required by my membership plugin but it’s sent when the user purchases via PayPal which is currently the only payment option I have set up. So it’s not a confirmation email in the sense that we were discussing it yesterday. I can probably remove all that wording from the order thank you page. I still want to test this whole segment to see what actually gets sent when someone purchases.

This raises another question, though. The plugin sends at least two emails (I think – that’s what I have to test). One is a new member email which contains their username and password and the other is the PayPal email I was discussing above. So if I put a “login” form in the flow before the order thank you page, do you think that will confuse buyers?

Rick Smith
    Participant

I did some testing of this this morning. I think the original issue is resolved. Turns out there was an option in the plugin for selecting an email list for each level of buyer (this plugin allows multiple buyer levels). So when someone buys they’re automatically subscribed to the specified email list. (I don’t know if it’s smart enough to unsubscribe them from the original campaign or not.)
    My testing identified some other issues that I’ll have to fix.

Bob Thibodeau
    Participant

Hey Rick,

I’m confused…I also am using Get Response. How can I set up the “login” page (I have it as a “Landing Page” in Get Response with just First Name and Email Address). I had to “link it” to it’s own autoresponder – but I have left that auto responder as blank. I have made sure every setting I could find for double opt in is off.

The question I have is this: If I use this “landing page” for product “A” – How do I link it to the download page once they hit “submit”? Do I use the autoresponder? If I do that, I will not be able to use that landing page for any other products because it will automatically “launch” everyone into the autoresponder… Do I link it to a page on my website? If so, How do I do that? Use the “other URL” function for the redirect? IF I do that, six months down the road and I have 10 different products…do I create 10 different “landing pages” that look identical, but each is independent for a specific product? I’m thinking that may be the solution…but what do you think?

Sean?
    Anyone else who is running into this?

Thanks for the input!

Bob

PS – I’m also going to post this as a question on it’s own…so if you are reading “duplicate” – that’s why…But Rick and I are kind of collaborating…So I wanted to get his thoughts on how he is tackling this subject! 🙂

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

On Aweber – so I’d guess also on GetResponse as they’re very similar – there’s a specific option to set up a landing page on the form setup screen. It defaults to their standard (ugly) thank you page but has the option for a custom page which I always set to the download page. This page is from their help.

Aweber also gives the option to set up a page if they’re already subscribed – again, the default is ugly. I set it to the same landing page.

Rick Smith
    Participant

Bob –

I’ll reply on your other post.

Cynthia Leighton
    Participant

Rick,

Yikes! This is complicated. I am glad to see the issues before I encounter them. I have Optimize Press and Optimize Member so it was good to think through with you as you explain this. Thanks.

blessings,
    Cynthia

Rick Smith
    Participant

Cynthia –

I had this nice reply all written up for you and then I somehow lost it. It’s been one of those days. I’ll rewrite it in a little while. Dang it!!!

Rick Smith
    Participant

Cynthia –

I thought I’d lost this. I hadn’t.

I knew u were using OptimizePress. I didn’t realize you’re also using OptimizeMember (although I don’t know why not since it’s included with OP). Since you’re using both, I’ll give more detailed answers than I otherwise might have. Yes. This is a bit more complicated than it first appeared. Anyway, I have some new wrinkles. I did some more testing this morning. (I’m probably over testing. 🙂 ) I couldn’t figure out a few things. I’ll list what they were and what my solution was (if I found one).

1. I couldn’t figure out where the product description comes from. It was showing up in the PayPal email as “description.” That comes from the membership button. After you create the button and press “Next Step,” you’ll see options for setting the amount, etc. Well, there’s also a description field and in my case it was blank. That’s now fixed though I haven’t tested it.

2. The customer service info is incorrect in the PayPal email. I haven’t yet figured out where to change that. I’ll keep you posted.

3. I couldn’t figure out why I never got an email from the site (I got the PayPal emails) telling me Bob had signed up. As part of my testing, I cleaned out all the test accounts from my PayPal account as well as my WP back end. I noticed Bob’s test account didn’t show up in WP. It didn’t make sense because I knew he’d signed up as a test. Then it dawned on me. I got only the PayPal subscription emails because he’d never registered on the membership site with the registration link in the welcome email!!!

I think that’s because my process wasn’t clear. I was trying to come up with a way to make the OP registration form display my order thank you page after the user registers. IOW, I was thinking about using the OP registration page as the “login” form that we’ve been discussing. But I don’t think that will work. I don’t think I’ll be able to have the OP registration form call the order thank you page without some coding. I can code if I have to but I really don’t want to get into that at this point.

So here’s my solution. I have to reword the order thank you page text anyway. So what I think I’m gonna do is make the wording clear and put a link to the registration page on the order thank you page. Then I’ll make it clear that they won’t be able to access the lessons unless they register. Whew! I might finally be at the end of the road with this!

Rick Smith
    Participant

Cynthia –

Here’s the link to the order thank you page I came up with this morning.

Membership Thank You

Rick Smith
    Participant

Cynthia –

Tweaked it a bit to made the wording stronger. (For some reason, I couldn’t highlight the word “essential” in the numbered list. It appears as highlighted when I edit the text block but doesn’t appear highlighted after I save it nor does it appear as highlighted when I view the page on the Web).

Membership Thank You

Trevor Dumbleton
    Participant

Rick: page looks simple and clear, well done.

Unadvertised bonus link (point 3) isn’t showing on my screen.

Rick Smith
    Participant

Trevor –

Thanks. And about the unadvertised bonus, yeah I know. (Good thing I haven’t launched this yet. 🙂 ) Adding the unadvertised bonus is the next thing on my list. I wanted to go ahead and put the text in place. I’m planning to put the unadvertised bonus on there today at some point.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this article

Comments are closed.